We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

We've always travelled FIT with me doing the pre-trip planning. It was our first trip to Cuba and didn't quite know what to expect. We also don't speak Spanish. That said, I'd read up enough to know where we should visit ... Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Baracoa, Camaguey, Trinidad and Vinales. The plan was to spend a couple of nights upon arrival in Havana, then fly one-way to Santiago de Cuba. Pick up a rental car and drive back to Havana. We had 3 weeks in total to see the real Cuba whilst mainly staying in casa particulares.

Having read a few instances whereby the national car agencies try to rip off tourists, I decided to email the infamous Jorge to help me with some bookings. As expected, Jorge's meticulous, thorough and answered all my (naive) questions. He didn't try to change my plans, instead just gave a few good pointers.

So we flew LHR/HAV on 1 May 2008. Jorge booked us into a pretty casa in old Havana for 3 nights. The location was brillant ... we walked everywhere, taking in the usual sights. We hired one of Jorge's guides for a day and he helped us "get a feel of the place".

On 4 May, we arrived bright and early at the domestic airport for the one way flight to Santiago de Cuba. As luck would have it, the flight was cancelled. The airline official didn't think it was important to offer an explanation or an alternative flight. Perhaps our lack of Spanish didn't help either. Whilst deciding what the next course of action should be, a young Cubano started talking with me. Ronald too was on the same flight. To cut a long story short, he arranged with the airline official to fly us to Guantanamao. From there, the 3 of us grabbed a cab to SDC. No doubt Ronald's a "hustler" but we were more than happy to play the game.

Ronald's originally from Baracoa but lives in SDC. He showed us SDC in a friend's 1955 Chevy ... what a great way to travel!

After a couple of days in SDC, we picked up the rental car which Jorge had organised. We drove with Ronald to Baracoa. I must admit his presence was well appreciated ... we would have been lost countless times! We now realise that directional signs are far and few between.

We stayed in this amazing casa in Baracoa ... the food prepared by the owner was delicious (sadly this was the only place in the whole of Cuba with food this good!). Whilst we're on the subject of food, do remember to pack "power bars" if you're staying in casas or on the road a lot ... grocery shops are practically non-existant!

From Baracoa, we drove to Holguin. Long, difficult 10 hour journey ... half the journey was spent on gravelled roads. We had a flat tyre along the way but Ronald was apt at changing it. Spent a couple of non-descript nights in Holguin.

We left Ronald in Holguin and continued with our road trip. Next stop: Camaguey. For the first time in a week, we decided to stay in a hotel. For CUC52 a night, the Gran Hotel was magic! Camaguey's a pretty little town ... easy walking around the "turista routa".

From Camaguey, we headed to Trinidad. This town's exactly what the guidebook says it is ... "like a movie set". Spanish colonial and again easy to walk around. We spent a day in nearby Playa Ancon ... that Carribean sea's gorgeous!

Our next destination, Varadero, was not on the itinerary (coming from Asia, beaches were not essentials). We only went there because the drive from Trinidad to Vinales would have been too long. Varadero, strangely enough (for us anyway) wasn't as bad as I expected. We stayed in a hotel in town which serves as a training centre for would-be F&B and Front Office personnel. Upside is that it's only 70m from a quiet, beautiful beach.

Vinales was our final stop on the road trip before heading back to Havana. Except for an unwelcomed visit by a tarantula in our casa bedroom, this pretty town exceeded my expectations.

If I did a Cuban road trip again, I would certainly visit Havana, Trinidad and Vinales. Driving was a challenge ... as Jorge (who met us again at the end of the trip) said "driving in Cuba's an education, not a vacation". No wonder the locals with whom we came in contact with laughed when we told them we were driving practically the whole length of the Island!

We still wouldn't trade this wonderful, frustrating, informative experience for the world. Just have to pack a few more "power bars" ... and tissues, wet wipes and soap! :D

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Very interesting review of your trip, lots of info nicely presented, sounds lika a great experience.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

glad you had a great trip. Jorge is an aamazing fella, isnt he.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Busman-7: Sorry my review on Holguin was non-descript. We did, however, love the flamenco dance at the local upmarket restaurant (we just happened on it ... serendipity!). I do hope to one day see your beautiful country again ... perhaps do a week's salsa lessons and enjoy more of the wonderful passion in music.

Manfredz: Jorge is cool! He was unintrusive in his advice when I told him what I'd planned.

Jules

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

JulesB66 wrote....."driving in Cuba's an education, not a vacation"

What a great line to describe car rental in Cuba. Nicely sums up the experience. Having done it, I know exactly what you mean.

Great trip report and glad Cuba provided the adventure you were looking for.

Thanks for the informative posting.

Middle East
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Hi everyone, I'm new on this cuba forum, but got some great tips for my trip already. I'm just wondering who this Jorge guy is and how did you get in touch? Seems like he has all the connections.... ;)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Hi...here is Jorge's email address:- jorgeguide2004@gmail.com

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

Hola Jules

Excellent ... very nice ... glad you had a good time.

And yes "Experience" describes it well.

Mardi

8. Re: Trip report (long!) - Driving around amazing Cuba!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:23 am, October 04, 2009