We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Traveller's Cheques

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Anyone have experience exchanging Canadian Traveller's cheques.. i.e. Royal Bank... for Cuban Convertible Pesos.. either at the bank or the airport?

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

I think in all the excitement of going to Cuba again, I fried a few of my brain cells..... a friend politely told me to cheque with my travel agent.... (of course... dumb dumb here didn't think of that!).... so of course.... Traveller's cheques drawn on a CANADIAN bank... ie CIBC, RBC are easily exchanged in Cuba.....

toronto
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Some hotels will not cash them, you will have to go to a bank.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

I don't recommend them at all. They can be a real hassle. Banks can have very long and slow line ups. I'd take a reasonable amount of cash and a credit card for excursions, etc. I'm a travel agent and I'd never advise taking travellers cheques. Use you safety deposit box in your room.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Take Canadian cash (take $100 bills - make sure they are crisp - no tears, writing, turned down corners, etc.) and exchange upon arrival at the airport and keep your money in your safe. It already costs enough to purchase Cuban Convertible pesos don't waste any more money paying hotel and bank charges to cash travellers cheques. It is perfectly safe to transport your money from the airport on the bus (or taxi if you take one) to your hotel. Cuba is very safe for tourists. Just take out as much as you feel you need for the day for tips and so on. Travellers cheques are a thing of the past for travel in cuba. have a great vacation.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Thanks for the info... but I'm not staying on a resort. I've booked a casa particuliere in Holguin for 2 weeks.... so am not too keen on having all the cash I'll need for meals/entertainment on me or stashed in my locked suitcase in my room.....

Do you have any other options?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Cash advances on your credit card as needed can be another option. You'll have to do the bank wait maybe find out when the least busy time is. I've heard of people waiting 1-3 hours at the bank in Guardalavaca. Since I'm not sure exactly where you'll be staying maybe you'll have more options for banks.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

I'm staying in Holguin and there is a bank nearby..... cash advances on the credit card are going to be subject to the 10 or 11 % charge now in effect in Cuba..... I can get my traveller's cheques for free at my bank......

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Hiya Sofee1

I stay at Casa's when I go to Cuba. I tend to carry all my "Important Stuff" (passport, visa card, cash) with me in a fanny pack.

I will lock it in the trunk of the car if I have to, but I generally keep it with me.

I haven't done the travellers check thing but may have to if they a charging extra on credit cards.

Cheers

Mardi

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Mardi,

Do you have other advice for me that could be useful?......This is my 1st time staying in a casa...

I'm going to be in Holguin, I've been in contact via email with the people at the casa.... I plan on taking some of my meals with them....

Do you know how much per day I can expect to pay for meals at restaurants etc..... I'm not a big eater or a very picky eater either........ my plans for the 2 weeks are renting a scooter to drive to the beach,,,,, visit the city, plan to walk in the city...... buy a bottle of wine to enjoy on my balcony in the evening..... all in all.... take it easy and see as much of the area as possible... as cost effectively as possible... the way I see it, the more cost effective this trip is the sooner I can return.....

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian Traveller's Cheques

Hiya Sofee

You will have the best of times. Buy a bottle of rum and drink it with the family at the casa. You will each get to know each other better and really breaks the ice. Depends on the communication though, I still get by with my horrible spanish.

Restaurants have similar prices ($3 for a cheese sandwich or hamburger) you don't get as much though. The nicer the restaurant and the more touristy the area the more you will pay. (cubanmomma gave you a sample of prices on a previous post - I think)

Horse carts and bike carts are very cheap transportation. Ask at the Casa about a car for hire for longer trips. The Miss at the Casa can get you things (water, juice etc.) cheaper. They will charge you more than what they pay but it will still be cheaper for you. I go and buy fruit and cold meats at the market when I'm hungry and away fom the Casa.

Just explore and have fun.

They will tell you places to avoid as well.

Cheers

Mardi