We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba & Jorge

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cuba & Jorge

Hi, I tried to post this as a review, but TA wouldn't let me. So here it is anyway!

Hi, as part of our round the world trip, we booked two weeks in Cuba with Jorge after recommendations from this site. We asked Jorge to book our hotels (Nacional Havana, Los Jazmines, VInales; Hotel Jagua, Cienfuegos, Brizas Trindidad and Palacio O'Farrill back in Havana. We asked Jorge to quote us for a full day walking tour and a full day driving tour around Havana. We thought his quote a bit expensive, but went with it nevertheless. We have just returned and I can say now it was great and excellent value. The tour guides Jorge arranged were excellent, all the hotels and bus bookings (oh yeh, I forgot we had one night in a Casa in Havana between Vinales and Cienfuegos) went smoothly - we particularly loved the Nacional for its history and the O'Farrill for its location. We absolutely loved Cuba and thought the touring we did (by Viazul buses) really gave us a taste of the country. Wonderful people, fantastic place. So interestihng. So, despite worrying whether our bank transfer had gone off to cyberspace rather than someone called Jorge, I can tell you, Jorge does exists and deserves the recommendaitons he gets on this site.A wonderful trip

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Hotel Los Jazmines
Hotel Los Jazmines
926 Reviews
Cuba
Hotel Palacio O'Farrill
Hotel Palacio O'Farrill
493 Reviews
Cuba
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuba & Jorge

WOW sounds like you had a fabulous time! and YES JORGE does exist lol.... He's our man in Havana and a gem! My friends will be with him tomorrow actually.

I am sure you saw Cuba like no else ever sees Cuba when staying at an AI.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuba & Jorge

Hi, Welcome home..... sounds like you had a great time, jorge is a star....I am so glad that it all worked well for you, I knew you wouldn't be dissapointed or let down...lol...

Don't forget to drop me a line and tell me about the rest of your trip as well as Cuba.... Regards Lou.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuba & Jorge

As pina said WOW meeting Voy & Joerge are in my future plans

England
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuba & Jorge

Good afternoon

We also live in Warwickshire. Our children are sending us to Cuba for a special wedding anniversary - they have paid our flight, but left us to arrange where/and what also left is to us to pay for it!!!

I have emailed Jorge today, [another Trip Advisor member recommended him], we should much appreciate any further advice you have, we feel complete novices and sadly don't speak Spanish, which I feel could be a big hamper; we leave in April 2008.

One of the questions that comes to mind, is money, cash - what currency to take, traveller's cheques or .....? credit cards seem to be a 'no no'???

How much does Jorge arrange/one pay's in advance to him??

Any help - thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuba & Jorge

Hi, we are going back to Cuba in April for our fifth visit. We have managed to travel over most parts and are doing a tour this time from Havana around the top part of Cuba finishing at Varadero. We absolutely love the atmosphere with music being played everywhere, people sitting on their doorsteps, in shops and hotels. Spanish isn't a problem as most people seem to speak English, unlike us speaking Spanish. The currency is the Cuban Convertible Dollar which you can only obtain on arrival. The food is not great but you must expect this and there is usually a lot of choice. Some residents will ask you back to their houses to eat and we have only had good reports on this. Well have a lovely time and we might bump into you. We travel on the 9th. Daphne and Dennis

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuba & Jorge

Sorry Fatima. Only just seen your post. It seems a long time ago now since we were in Cuba, and I can't remember exact amounts. But Jorge's guides were definitely worth the money. Gave us so much info that we wouldn't have felt comfortable asking strangers so we got a really good insight to how the Cuban people feel, ie proud, love their country, love and respect Fidel and recogise that change will come at a pace people want and can cope with. Forget everything you hear from so called 'cuban exiles' eh? As for currency, we were flying form LA via Mexico and changed a lot of dollars back to Sterling at LA airport, which baffled the exchange counter people. But nowhere did we feel unsafe carrying cash with us. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
England
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuba & Jorge

Hello

Your email is perfectly timed! We are off very shortly. We too shall stay at the Nacional for all the reasons you give, but shall spend time in various Casas that Jorge suggested and other Hotels, also suggested by him. Interestingly, although the same places, different hotels!!

As we were keen to see some of Cuba slightly off the tourist track, we have asked Jorge to engaged a Driver-Taxi - ouch! The buses don't 'go' there....

I am really looking forward to the music and hopefully a dancing lesson which I hope will be enough to set me up dancing with the locals! Husband, I think will definitely be trying out the rum, I don't like it.

The kids have said we HAD to have a ride in one of those wonderful old 1950 cars, since they paid to get us there!!!

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Fatima61

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
8. Re: Cuba & Jorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 25, 2009