We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid Australian is home...

Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
77 posts
388 reviews
Save Topic
Intrepid Australian is home...

I got off the plane in Melbourne yesterday morning....I had done what I had set out to do ....Me and my Brother drove a car from Baracoa to Vinales. All up we did 2,500kms...we drove through some astonishing places and met some astonishing people. Very very occasionaly we saw a road sign! (BEWARE-there are pot-holes that you could stay the night in!) We soaked up a lot of motivational sloganeering from the big hoardings on the sides of the road,we were offered at least 3 tons of bananas and unlimited strings of garlic,the highway patrol guys were dudes...I loved them!!!...my Brother drank 7 million Buccaneros' and 15 gallons of Ron...I nearly smoked a cigar! At one point we stayed for 3 days in Room 615 at the 'Sevilla' in Havana,Al Capones old room...Bill Wilson had his honeymoon there in 1929! I swam in the Atlantic,I swam in the Caribean,I had hustlers roust me for stuff and I told them "You should go to hustling school!!!" they were pathetic...I did a fair amount of hustling when I lived in South London...they made me feel like a genius...What a line..."Where you from?..." "F@#king Mars,Where you from? Don't take them too seriously folks.. I will be honest here-I nearly cried when I got back on the plane in Havana...I loved Cuba...the smell of it...the crumbling buildings...the dancin' and singin'...the elastic nature of Cuban time.....the fantastic energy and resilience of the people...the kindness....their toughness and their honesty. I would go back right this minute, as my wife just said "you'll have to get the mask and the gun out of moth-balls then!" My one big tip---Try your best to learn some rudimentary Spanish!!!" Next time I go (and I will because I was in the River Toa!) I will have done lessons! Pleasantly most Cubans were fascinated to meet an Australian...there aren't too many of us around their neck of the woods..Anyway...I now have a bit of hands on knowledge from doin' that wonderful country by the seat of my pants...I would like to say that soaking up tips on this forum in the months before I left was invaluable... If you want to get humble,if you want to see how people look out for each other,how they take pride in themselves and their country...Go to Cuba as fast as you possibly can! I shall never forget my time there!!!!

Hasta Luego

Spoon

p.s. I even went to Biran ,Fidels' birthplace.I found it by mistake!

p.p.s. I think I left enough Lobster for everybody else!

p.p.s. the gift that went down best was 'the Rawlings Baseball', and you can throw it from 50yards away at kids playing with a bundle of rags taped together in the street... you don't have to hang around and feel like some ego driven Rockefeller!

p.p.p.s. VENCEREMOS!!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

Loony Spoon...lol.... Wedding at PRDO. D'ya think i'm made of money???? Lets make it Trinidad and have Los Pinos playing...hope you still have their card... wow that would be so cool, think I may get married again......just for the party ....lol

Your trip is sounding better and better.....keep it coming Spoon...I only have until tomorrow... I want to know more and more.

Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
77 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

At one point we got stuck in this place called 'Los Reynaldos'.(nothing there but a Sugar refinery!)..the road just ran out...it just ceased to be! This guy come out of nowhere and asked if we were in any drama....he was a freaky lookin' dude....he turned out to be an Angel with a dirty face,he jumped in the car and started doin' the scout 'thang'...he took us out of the wilderness and uplifted to Guantanamo...and left us at a lovely families house for the night...Where ever you are Lucas 'May you be the father of many Bishops'....Time after time I was amazed by how things unrolled...I had an open mind and good sh*t happened!

Cheers

Looney Spoon

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

WOW! Loonyspoon lol... sounds like you had a fabulous time!! i'll think i'll join you and your brother next roadtrip to Cuba!! hey loony...want in?!? lol

Have a great trip Loony Lyn...hope to see ya in May!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

Hey Pina, Count me in....... Don't know that these guy's could handle us two though, still we could teach them a thing or two........about Cuba....LOL

What D'ya reckon Loony Spoon??????

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
10 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

Hi,

Just returned from Cuba. You may want to infiorm your fellow Aussies that it it very hard to exchange Australian Dollars. We met a Aussie girl in the Havan airport who only had Aussie Dollars..they would not exchange it nor would they in a fairly large bank in Havana. Suggest they convert to Euros before arriving.

We ended up giving her 30 CUC for a taxi

Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
77 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

I think the Money Changers were happy with the large denominations....$50 + $100. Don't despair ...shop around. They don't like bedraggled notes in any currency...I had a bunch of English Pounds-50s in good condition ...they liked them (so did I ,I wish I had them now!)

Love

Spoon

ps I regret not bumping into fellow Aussies...we were few and far between in Cuba.Shame really as we are the greatest nation on Gods earth!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
105,249 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

Hey Kingspoon.

Im sitting in a hotel in Calgary, Alberta just before departing to the airport to fly back home to the UK and I am blown away by your postings.

What an awesome holiday you had, I am so envious of you. This is one holiday you will never forget and thanks so much for giving us all an insight into your adventures.

All you need to do know is to win the World Cup. Don't reckon you'll get much resistance from us Poms but S A could prove difficult I fancy.

Woke up here to a fresh 2 inches of snow this morning - don't suppose you guys know much about that sort of stuff!!!!

Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
77 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

Bellagio...I am suffering-I have 'Post Cuban Shock Syndrome', I'm sitting here in Oz-the sun is coming over theyardarm its gonna be hot...I am listening to Eliades Ochoa and his band singing the songs of Nico Saquito...It's so beautiful I could cry...I want to be back in the Sierra Del Escambray...looking down on Trinidad wondering what I'm gonna have for lunch...wondering who is gonna pop out of the crowd and introduce themselves and tell me stuff that will enrich...just 'cop' it when some one breaks into a song or some-one starts laughing...and the worst decision I have to make is wether to have an Expresso or an Americano! My friend I loved that country before I went and now it's in me....if I was 19 again I wouldn't be sitting here I'd be back in the banana groves in the backblocks of one province or another...singing and shouting! God is good (mine is anyway,I'm a spiritual kinda guy,not a religous kinda guy!) and maybe he will take me back there. I can't get the place out of my head.....

Mullumbimby...
Level Contributor
77 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

p.s. it snowed Sunday afternoon before I left England...funny white stuff,has an odd ingrediant that makes your teeth rattle!

20. Re: Intrepid Australian is home...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 28, 2009