We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car renters BEWARE

BOSTON
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
car renters BEWARE

We changed from Turks to Bonaire 8 years ago and never was sorry UNTIL THIS PAST FEBRUARY. Crime has been on an upswing for the last year. We always rented a car from AB Carrental. This year someone took a sharp object and ran down the right side of the car and stole a tank of gas we had just filled because we were leaving the next day. Had to get a police report because car rental people would not. Police speak Dutch, another story for another time. The bottom line is AB Carrental changed my credit card for the repair of the car which they say they will have to repaint, (you know that is not going to happen) in the amount of over $650 in addition to my two week rental which was over $550. I did not take the insurance which my credit card covered and card company told me that was the right thing to do. Credit card co. working to get my repair costs back but AB Carrental not sending the forms they need. THINK TWICE before going to Bonaire....after going there for 8 years in a row...WE ARE!

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car renters BEWARE

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you. That would discourage anyone from wanting to return, but I think it's unfair to tell people to think twice about going to Bonaire. I've been going to Bonaire for many years; leaving soon for my 16th trip. I personally know many locals & have not heard anything about a crime upswing. Posting all the facts (including where the damage/theft happened) would be helpful. I've heard of and personally know about problems with car break-ins. One friend had 1 pair of cheap shorts stolen while the thieves left sunglasses and other more valuable items. Very strange. Usually though it's minor theft and no vehicle damage. That's why the car rental companies tell you to not lock your doors, leave your windows down & never leave valuables in your vehicle. Obviously that wouldn't have helped you. Sorry again to hear about your bad experience. Checking tomorrow to see who my rental truck is booked with. :-)

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car renters BEWARE

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you. That would discourage anyone from wanting to return, but I think it's unfair to tell people to think twice about going to Bonaire. I've been going to Bonaire for many years; leaving soon for my 16th trip. I personally know many locals & have not heard anything about a crime upswing. Posting all the facts (including where the damage/theft happened) would be helpful. I've heard of and personally know about problems with car break-ins. One friend had 1 pair of cheap shorts stolen while the thieves left sunglasses and other more valuable items. Very strange. Usually though it's minor theft and no vehicle damage. That's why the car rental companies tell you to not lock your doors, leave your windows down & never leave valuables in your vehicle. Obviously that wouldn't have helped you. Sorry again to hear about your bad experience. Checking tomorrow to see who my rental truck is booked with. :-)

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car renters BEWARE

Bama, I would suggest you make your own decisions about a rental based on your past experience. I have used the company mentioned here many times for my discerning clients. There is only one "not so great agency" on island..the rest are great. We do have petty crime as do all the islands. Use common sense. Have a blast. Anyone who discredits an entire island due to one bad experience with a car rental, well come on, how smart is that? Look at the whole experience..if he did not love the island overall, fine, find another..this person posted all over over and over...

Edited: 7:01 am, March 31, 2010
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car renters BEWARE

I have been in Bonaire may times, but only rented a car once. With two to three boat dives a day and easy access to shore diving who needs a car.

If I would go by crime happening in DC, I'd have to stay indoors, let nobody into my apartment and starve to death.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car renters BEWARE

We've rented from AB Carrental during our Thanksgiving week trip for the past several years. The year before last we had a very large rock hit the front windshield on the way to the airport. There was a huge smashed in place on the windshield. We had not paid for the extra insurance but we were charged only $50 to repair the windshield. Their agent was very professional and easy to work with. So, I would think twice about writing off an entire country because of one bad experience. I got thrown from a horse in Ecuador last summer...should I stop going to Ecuador?

Holmes, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
248 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car renters BEWARE

Yes..............

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car renters BEWARE

Ha ha!

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car renters BEWARE

No ofcourse not.

9. Re: car renters BEWARE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:49 am, December 14, 2010