We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

My sons are 10 and 14 years old and like to snorkle. They've been to Puerto Rico, Bahamas, St. John and will be in St.Kitts this year. Is this an island that families enjoy? Would there be other children for them to socialize with? Which hotel would you recommend and why? I briefly looked at The Plaza, Divi, and Habour View. Thanks for your input!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

I love the Cape too..live there part of the year. Our island is so kid friendly. Windsurfing is huge for our kids and for the many tourists who flock here to learn in shallow gin clear safe water. They can also snorkel off the windsurf beach. We have mangrove tours, landsailing on wicked fast go cart thingys with sails. Kids have a lovely time here. We have caves and more.

We have great hotels and many condos so you can cook in as well. Please contact a travel agent who knows what he or she sells so they can make a great match based on your budget and needs.

Ann Phelan

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

Thanks for your reply Ann. I also looked through the forum and realized my question has been asked before. I read a trip report recently of Bonaire and it sounded different and wonderful. I also checked on airfare and realized its not easy to get from CT to Bonaire. I think I will read the boards and do more research. I love plannig our family vacations but I'm all over the place on our next trip (Hawaii, Caribbean, Europe).

How nice that you live on the Cape part time and Bonaire! We spend a lot of time in Harwich Port but love the Wellfleet beaches.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

I recommend getting to Newark for the Sat. night red eye if you live near the NY side of CT. I am a travel agent so know all the routes.This makes the most sense. NON STOP!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

Thanks, I will check it out.

nj
Level Contributor
2 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

Hi--we just made our 6th trip to Bonaire and found the Port Bonaire Resort to be our favorite place to stay on the island. It has a great pool, convenient dock for snorkeling or boating, dive facility on property, close to town, and cable TV! Also has full kitchen and even a washing machine for each apartment. If your boys like to snorkle you will not find a better place to do so than in Bonaire.

We did not see too many young people where we stayed,but we went while school was still in session.

We picked a package that included a rental car and diving, very affordable. Port Bonaire Resort is across from the airport, but there are only a few flights in and out each day, so the noise was minimal.

We've been all over the Caribbean, but like Bonaire because it is quiet but with lots to do, safe, and rather unspoiled. Enjoy!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

Snivvy, I love Port Bonaire but have a hard time selling it due to the plane noise and the windows rattling..we found it humorous the 3 times we stayed there but others do not...

7. Re: Would families enjoy Bonaire? If so, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 02, 2009