We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

We love Bonaire and almost can't see diving anywhere else. We enjoyed Cozumel and drift diving. We're considering a Carribbean or Mexican dive trip in April. We'd love to try someplace else that has the easy diving, quiet and good restaurants Bonaire has. Are there any other places in the Caribbean that can compare?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

Curacao has a lot of great shore diving, and is very quiet -especially up near Westpunt where some of the best diving is. There are fewer restaurants on that part of the island, but plenty in Willemstad.

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

Thanks, Al! Curacao may be an option - one thing I do miss in Bonaire are music clubs - Curacao is supposed to have some good local bands, so I've heard,

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

For another good diving/snorkeling destination that is similar to Bonaire in some ways but also different, you might consider Belize. They do not have the shore diving/snorkeling like Bonaire, but most dive sites are a short boat ride and they do have a huge reef (worlds second largest) to explore. Although most visitors go to the Ambergris Caye/San Pedro area, there are also several other potential dive resorts in the more southern parts of the country.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

I agree Belize diving is great - especially the further out you go from Ambergris Caye (i.e. getting out to Lighthouse Reef). Don't expect anything in the way of beaches if you choose San Pedro, though - and no shore diving/snorkelling at all as AmateurGO mentioned. You even have to take a boat to go snorkelling.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

We liked Belize, especially Cay Caulker, but found Ambergris Cay to be a little too noisy and crowded. That's why we are going to Bonaire. Anguilla is nice but the snorkeling isn't as good. Has nice beaches I've heard. Looking forward to Bonaire this Fall.

Edited: 8:28 pm, July 16, 2013
Missoula
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

We really enjoyed Roatan as well. We have not been to Bonaire yet, will be going this January, so cannot give you a direct comparison.,

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

We appreciate all of these suggestions. We've been interested in Belize and Honduras. Thank you!!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

Heard Isla De Guanaja near Roatan is amazing. Hollywood stars have discovered it.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

We were in Belize a couple of years ago, diving on the Aggressor, and somebody said to us, "Don't ever go to Bonaire, because it will spoil you for everywhere else!" Of course, the next trip we booked was to Bonaire, and now we tend to agree! We've been back 6 times in the past 3 years and love it there! Being able to slip into the water, pretty much anywhere along the west coast of Bonaire, at any time of the day or night makes the diving experience so pleasant and easy. We do enjoy the liveaboard experience as well. The AquaCat in Bahamas would be my top recommendation for some exciting diving, different to Bonaire, but also very easy and pleasant diving as the boat staff take care of everything for you, and meals are all included.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Places Similar to Bonaire

AL-the-squid - I'm puzzled, there are great beaches in San Pedro, particularly south of the main square just no snorkeling from shore (too much small craft boat traffic). The diving is good and the vibe of San Pedro is wonderful. Turneffe Atoll is also spectacular.

I loved buying fish from the fishermen when they came in then taking it back to our beach front condo and grilling it for dinner.

Good local bands and night life right on the beach too

I am also very partial to diving in Roatan, again a fabulous destination. IMHO West Bay is the best place to stay (incredible beach, great snorkeling and excellent boat diving just 5 minutes from shore. but do get a car so you can check out the rest of the island. For diving I highly recommend Mayan Divers with Banannarama a very close second.

West Bay and West End also have beach front music or other entertainment a few nights during the week