We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

Nashville
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

As an avid diver we have to check off Bonaire as a place dove BUT we are very discouraged at this point.

I use TA to plan all of my trips and all I seem to see are negative things right now.

From crime to Insel air being bad...

We are flying AA to Curacao and Insel to Bonaire. (not without some issues already)

Can I please hear the GOOD in Bonaire because as of now I am discouraged =(

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

I have been going to Bonaire several times a year since 1998 and still love the diving, despite the continued growth of the island. Let me tell you some of the good ( in my opinion anyway!)

1. Shore diving on my own schedule with no crowds and a diversity of sites. If there is a truck at a site I was planning on or the entry looks a little rough that day then it is easy to drive down the road a bit.

2. Fabulous small things to see in the shallows while draining my tank and taking advantage of every bit of air.

3. An active group of lionfish hunters working at keeping the population down.

4. Beautiful Lac Bay for a non-dive day

5. Some fabulous restaurants.

6. Opportunities to cook in when I want to.

7. Amstel Bright

8. Friendly local people.

9. Availability of a well staffed chamber ( never needed but nice to know it is there)

10. Easy to drive topside without getting lost.

11. Great dive shops with lots of conveniences for shore divers

12. The chance to arrive via Divi Air from Curaco (connect from AA) and see my favorite island come into view.

13. Super easy underwater navigation.

14. Diversity of fish.

15. Protected waters of the marine park.

16. Flamingoes, donkeys, birds, iguanas

17. Klein Bonaire for boat dives

18. Dive as much or as little as I want.

I am sure I will think of more but that is why we return! And as a note on theft from trucks, we never take anything of value and have never lost a ratty t-shirt, cheap sunglasses or old flip flops.

Edited: 12:40 pm, June 07, 2013
Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

I wrote 2 reviews and a trip report on the island, all mostly positive. Insel I can't help with because I used Air Tran and Tiara.

I probably felt the calmest that I had felt in a long time when I was there last week. I think the water and the people were both wonderful.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

I think BlueWater made a very good list of the high points... Since I'm a windsurfer rather than a diver (I'm one of the nuts that Bluewater watches on Lac Bay) I have a different set of "goods", including probably the very best windsurfing location in the Caribbean. Also the best place to learn to windsurf (hint!, hint!).

To us, the friendly people and relaxed atmosphere are key, and we have enjoyed somewhere around 20 or 25 weeks in Bonaire over the past 10 years. In that time we had one "baseball cap" stolen out of our unlocked car in the hotel parking lot overnight. The kindness and graciousness of the people have more than made up for one baseball cap.

Oh, and on our last trip we used Insel between Aruba and Bonaire and everything did very well, all 4 flights (Aruba-Curacao-Bonaire, then Bonaire-Curacao-Aruba) on time (or within 10 minutes).

Edited: 5:24 pm, June 07, 2013
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

I'm all about the good on Bonaire...

- the best diving I've experienced in the Caribbean

- diving freedom- grab a tank and jump in on your own terms, 24/7

- great restaurants - Pasa Bon Pizza, Wil's, Cappriccio, Between two Buns

- best location in the Caribbean to hone underwater photography skills (although Cathy Church's operation on Grand Cayman is great for hands on lessons).

- diversity of sealife

- mantas in the shallows (saw two last week)

- clear aquamarine waters

- relaxed atmosphere, friendly people

- diversity of dive sites

- Cadushy Distillery - fun to visit and great rum

I just returned from my first trip, and we are hoping to go back later this year.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
598 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

You shouldn't be discouraged. Unfortunately, some have been victims of crime there, but guess what, it can happen in your own back yard. It's still safer than many of the other islands in the Caribbean. Our first visit was this past January and within a month of returning, we booked our trip for next January. We never felt unsafe nor did we have any issues with theft. The local people are very friendly, the island is easy to navigate, you have your choice of reasonably priced restaurants that serve amazing food, and the freedom of shore diving/snorkeling can't be beat. Give it a chance and I'll bet you'll have a wonderful time :)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

Damn, I forget to mention the Cadushy Distillery again. My rum made it home, and is it good.

Nashville
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

THANKS everyone you have reminded me why we planned this trip to begin with! DIVING

We love photography and are looking forward to the freedom to practice at our own pace.

Staying at Bamboo Bali

Very excited!

Our trip is Dec 2013

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

And don't forget the parrots!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
71 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

We also had a great time, even with a minor Insel Air hiccup. You are going to love it! Bamboo Bali is one of the places we are considering for next time - so please have a great time and post a trip report on here when you get back!

miami
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we talk about the GOOD stuff? if any!

are you there yet just wondering if i should go?

Get answers to your questions about Bonaire