We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Bonaire

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crime in Bonaire

We have visited Bonaire several times since 1986. We just got back from a trip and were surprised when someone broke open our locked sliding glass door that goes out to a second floor balcony, while we were in the condo sleeping and stole my husband's laptop. We did hear a noise at about 3 am, but thought it was coming from another condo. We were told we were lucky that we did not come out while the thief was there, because we might get hurt. The door was repaired, but not reinforced and we were told to lock our bedroom doors at night. I think that the crime has gone beyond petty theft in Bonaire. We were not doing anything to attract this and are seasoned travelers who frequent third world countries with out mishap. We will choose to go somewhere else on our next snorkeling trip. I would advise others to think twice as well.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
71 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Bonaire

Sorry this happened to you. Where were you staying?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Bonaire

In a condo on the second floor at Playa Lechi Residence. I also heard of another couple who were staying somewhere else in Playa Lechi area who were robbed while they were in the apartment sleeping at about the same time. (same night or the next night) They had left their door unlocked. The thief entered their bedroom in addition to taking things in the common area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Bonaire

This is disturbing to hear of break-ins while occupants are sleeping, on top of all the auto related theft. I get not leaving doors open or valuables around,but this way beyond the norm. I mean come on... People are getting flip flops and clothes stolen. It is ridiculous, and I must admit, killing my enthusiasm to plan to not bring ANYTHING to dive sites. So no clothes, no shoes,dollar store sunglasses. I wonder about towels. We won't even bring lunch and will go back to the condo inbetween.

Are there no police? Seriously, if they don't do something it will destroy their tourism. People say enough is enough and go elsewhere.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Bonaire

I won't go back.

You can make it through the dive and then go back to the condo to have that compromised. We have traveled to multiple countries Thailand, India, Egypt, Morocco, Brazil, Peru, Mexico and never had this problem.

Nancy

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
822 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Bonaire

So sorry this happened to you.

Not sure why thieves seem to operate with such impunity in Bonaire, but it is very worrisome.

Don't blame you for not going back.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Bonaire

Going next week and have to say, am rather disturbed to read about these incidents. We were there once before in 2004, without incident, and was looking forward to a return trip for that awesome snorkeling. Now, I'm wondering if we"re making the right choice.

Can't leave a towel while snorkeling nor feel safe behind locked door while sleeping?! That's certainly not my idea of a relaxing vacation. As it is, I'm having a really hard time justifying $400 car rental dot the week which includes $81 LDW insurance because of said vandals.

This could be last visit to Bonaire.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Bonaire

I hope it goes better for you. At least you are forewarned. After the incident, I made a habit of patrolling around the outside of the condo each evening to see if there were any props for a repeat. The last night there was a ladder left hidden in the bushes exactly under our balcony and another on the other side of the building. I took the initiative of locking them inside the building for the night so we could sleep a little better. I do think that by being aware you can reduce your risk. We went thinking that this was a "safe" place, especially compared to past travels.

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Bonaire

My wife and i were there in 1997 and had a maid steal money from a locked suitcase. At the time there was no central or room safe. We've traveled quite a bit in the Caribbean and this is the only island we have had an occurrence.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Bonaire

Yes, and because it was relatively minor, the maid did two days later take the charger cord for my keyboard to my iPad. Just the icing on the cake. I wonder about the law enforcement there. I dialed 911 on my cell and the police was there in 30 seconds (3 of them). Later that day the forensic department came and took fingerprints and photos of the footprints. Then they wrote up a 3 page police report, in Dutch. It seemed like that was when the actions stopped. I later heard (from unofficial sources) that there is a known "fence" (pawn shop) on the island. The police did not mention it or come by again for any reason. We lived in the Dominican Republic for 2 years and this never happened there. It was, to be fair, before computers and laptops were common, but we had televisions and other desirable electronics.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Bonaire

Sorrowfully it is a sign of the times and is happening everywhere including at our own homes.

All the more reason to be extra careful when traveling.

That said, Bonaire is still as safe of an island as it gets.

Get answers to your questions about Bonaire