We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

Dunnellon, Florida
13 posts
Save Topic
4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

We will be traveling to Bonaire February 23rd for a week stay. I can see we waited a little too long to rent a vehicle. I can,t seem to locate a 4 wheel drive truck. Do we really need one? We want to visit the park and plan to do some shore dives and snorkel trips. There will be 4 tall adults in our group. Any suggestions on type of vehicle? Thanks!

New England
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

We always rent a double cab pick up for the two of us because it makes hauling dive gear super easy and we can use the tailgate for building tanks and suiting up. Have never felt the need for a 4WD even in the park. You do want high clearance though if going into the park so a truck would be a good idea. I have seen groups of four using full sized SUVs for diving but I feel they are less convenient because everyone crowds around the hatchback. With a truck you have lots of open space. So yes, I believe a truck is the best vehicle but it does not have to be 4WD.

February is indeed a busy time so you may need to hunt around a bit for a vehicle.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

Allow me to throw one "complication" in there. There were some rental vehicle thefts while we were on Bonaire ( Jan 16 -31) and, as a result, a more careful examination of multiple rental agreements. We found that, while trucks are allowed in the park, any insurance they include (including CDW) are voided in the park. Any damage of any kind would be the renter's responsibility. This may be perfectly acceptable, but you should be aware. I don't know if SUVs would be covered in the park, but I suspect not.

Other than the park issue, 4wd is definitely not necessary in Bonaire. Most roads are in pretty good shape, if perhaps a bit narrow.

Dunnellon, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

Thanks for the info! We found a double cab pickup truck that is not 4 wheel drive but should be all that we need for our exploring.

4. Re: 4 wheel drive truck rental needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 05, 2014