We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel & Resort Reviews

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel & Resort Reviews

To begin with I have never been to Bonaire, but hope to do so in the Fall. Upon looking over the user reviews of the hotels and resorts there seems to be very little middle ground. The reviews seem to be either really good or really bad. This seems to be the norm for Bonaire vs other Caribbean islands....any ideas why?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

Welcome soon...it's all subjective opinion...you can drive yourself crazy reading reviews...find a travel agent who knows the island and utilize their expertise, after all, it's free.

I honestly cannot think of one place that's "bad" but there are so many diverse options. Good luck with your trip planning.

Edited: 5:15 pm, May 02, 2012
Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

Yes, your right, reviews can be from someone who had a bad day or expected 4 star from 2 star hotels. I will get back to you later with questions as we get closer. Thanks so much.....

Dinslaken, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

Hi

Just got back from a 11-days vacation in Bonaire. Our first one ( of many others, we guess!).

We also had many questions concerning " confortable" lodging. Well, we had a certain budget and I chose some to inquire the prices. At the end, we had 3 choices, and we chose the one with an oceanview. Since we had some free time, we drove by the other ones we had found interesting and were in our list. One, we were glad we did not choose. It was far, the garden with full green and lots of trees was the perfect spot for the mosquitoes ( bring repelent when you come), not to mention that we did not notice parking lot ( the car had to be parked on the side of the road). And the price and structure of the inn did not match what they had to offer. Another one, was superb. New, modern, super clean...but right in front of it there is a auto garage (or car sales place...we did not identify), and the garage noise was constant.....far from the caribbean sea/ beach noise that one expects.....

Our choice was not 5 stars, was more of a 3 to 4. But we were "satisfied"and we could live with it without bothers. The structure was good and it was clean so it made us very happy.

We were a couple of times at the Buddy Dive. We noticed some appartments ( or studiums), on the groudfloor which had the door right at the main passage to the house reef. It means....cars driving by all the time from 5 AM ( due to our jetlag, our first 2 days in the island we went diving at 5 in the morning). I guess paying the price of the resort for having accomodations on the main passage way is not anyones´ expectation.

We were twice at Captain Don´s....Service at restaurant and bar were sooo bad that if it reflects the service at the entire resort, I guess it is not the right choice in the island, unless one does not mind having bad service.

We went one day to the Plaza Resort.....actually we walked the entire resort and no one stopped us....and I have an acquaintance that a few years ago had the apartment ( on groudfloor) broken in and UW Photo equipment stolen while she went out to dinner..

Yes, there are many options, depending on one´s budget and preferences. Difficult to find the perfect one....But with some luck, you find the " okay" one.

Good luck

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

Thanks for the update Cris. I will certainly do my homework.

DeputyDan
Level Contributor
72 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

It's a dive destination - not a vacation destination with AI's all around (like Aruba).

The accomodations are what most divers want.

Lehigh Acres, Fl
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

We were at Captain Don's last year and really enjoyed it, however it may have been partly due to our accomodations.....the fairly new Jr. Oceanfront Suites....right on the water, beautiful view, right near the dive shop. No real complaints about the service, but we were in no hurry. We did go out to eat several times during the week....some very good restaurants in Bonaire

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,848 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

I don't dive, and I love Bonaire. Heading back for two weeks in December.

Very nice place to visit, even for non-divers. Assuming you aren't expecting world class beaches and loads of people.

8. Re: Hotel & Resort Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire