We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

L39
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

I will be taking a vacation towards the end of March. Some of the people I have asked to go with me might not be able to go. However, I STILL WANT TO GO!! I want to take a vacation with this itinerary: laying on the beach, snorkeling (not diving), shopping, etc. This is the first vacation I would like to be on where I am not constantly on the go! I want to relax! But I also want to see and do some things. What do you suggest?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

I have traveled to many islands solo and find Bonaire perhaps the most comfortable. Great places to dine alone at the bar to meet people, very safe and little of the psssing and other men calls that go on in the British West Indies. Fun island but little shopping and not many sandy beaches. GREAT snorkeling.

Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

Hello. I recommend St john's in the USVI Just beautiful beaches and decent snorkling !!

My wife is from st croix also great and the quiet Virgins island !

I lived there thru the 80's also the British Virgin isles , Tortola !

all have great beaches and quiet !

We lived in Grand cayman for 4 years in the early 90's .! very nice and world famous 7 mile beach and some great snorkling sting ray city and some quiet nightlife !

(You can also take the Atlantis submarine down off the 100ft wall and just view it all !!)

if you really want to get away from it all St barth's off St martin a small french island (very expensive) Great beaches and quiet, very European.I!

My pick Grand Cayman or St john's !

Bonaire we are flying down there for the first time in June and they have no beaches but great snorkling/diving!

Miami
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

Just read your post, so if you've already left &/or chosen your vacation destination, I suppose this reply won't be helpful. I spent a week in Bonair last fall. There are no beaches to speak of in Bonaire, and the shopping is nearly non-existent. Bonaire is a VERY quite, laid-back place & most people go solely for the diving. Based upon what you said you were interested in doing, I would not recommend it.

Doug

Bethesda, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

I am a female who travelled solo on dive trips many times. I've been to both Bonaire and Grand Cayman, and my suggestion to you is Bonaire, hands down! Consider staying at the Sand Dollar. The dive operation is fabulous, and friendly. There were other solo divers, but since the Sand Dollar is not a regular resort, but a condominium whose owners rent out their apartments when they're not there, there is no "meat market" or pressure from the opposite gender at all towards single women. We just got back from a trip there and had a blast. Be sure to go dive with Jerry the divemaster - he's one of the most knowledgable divemasters I've met about the marine life. Grand Cayman is more commercial, and I'd say less friendly or relaxing for the woman solo diver just looking to log some great dives and bliss out in island paradise.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

I don't know much about Bonaire, but being a single female traveling along, Grand Cayman would be my choice as it is very safe!

Grand Cayman

They are both roughly the same size, Bonaire 112 Square miles, Grand Cayman 100 Square miles.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

It is obvious that you should post this question on Grand Cayman Trip Advisor also.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

Yes, agreed, post in the other forum..this is about Bonaire..thanks..

Ann

www.bonairecaribbean.com

sarasota, fl
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

If you dive there is no question Bonaire.........

Nightlife------8+

Sightseeing---7 Small Island

Water activities 10++++

Food-----+++

No commercialization....

GO to The rest at the Sand Dollar and tell Sitza (Pron: Cizza) Like Pizza

Tell him Big Jack From Florida sent you. He will prepare you a great meal and give you all the local scoop.

Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

L39

you probably left on your trip..

I would be curious where you went?

I just got back from Turks Caicos

(inexpensive flights out of Ft laud)

and Grace bay Beach .

I highly suggest for anyone.. looking for relaxation. expensive and quiet though.

It's 15 miles of pure white sand and a few snorkle spots..

(right up there with 7 mile beach Grand Cayman and the wall diving not bad either

on Turks Caicos for those that dive!)

We are going to Bonaire for the first time in June and looking foward to the diving etc !

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Female Traveler: Grand Cayman or Bonaire?

I like to know more about your trip since I would be traveling single to Bonaire in June. Did you finally go to Bonaire or choose an other destination? I still think Bonaire I great to travel alone.