We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

london
2 posts
Save Topic
Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

I am planning on visiting Bonaire on my honeymoon in early Sept for a short 3 day stay. Any adivice on where to stay (B&B or Hotel) would be very much appreciated. We would like:

1) Small intimate place, preferably on the beach. We are definately not looking for a large resort style place.

2) Neither of us know how to dive but we both very much like the beach and snorkling.

3) A little bit of luxury would be nice (it is our honeymoon after all) but local character is just as important.

Also, should I be renting a car to get around?

Thanks in advance.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Travel - Bellafonte Chateau de la Mer sounds exactly what you're looking for...........a small condo complex located on a beautiful beach with private pier. It's located less than a mile from the airport and less than 3 miles to town. The complex has 1 & 2 bedroom units with full kitchens and studios with kitchenettes. No swimming pool but why would you swim in a pool on Bonaire anyway? The property manager, Sjoerd, was a very gracious host...........he actually drove to the airport at 8:00 P.M. to pick us up!

I would definitely rent a car, expecially if you will be snorkeling..........the island has over 70 marked dive/snorkel spots, from one end of the island to the other. The snorkeling was some of the best I've experienced anywhere in the Caribbean.

We stayed one week on Bonaire then one week on Aruba.......am still wishing we spent both weeks on Bonaire. My review of the Bellafonte was posted in the User Review section on 11/29/04.

www.bellafontebonaire.com

london
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Thanks sceneisle,

The Bellafonte does look very nice. Too bad it does not seem to have a pool or Beach. Although I must say the pier looks spectacular.

I also saw some very good reviews on:

1) the Harbour Village Beach Club (Very expensive, though)

2) Deep Blue View Intimate Resort (No Beach).

How does the Bellafonte compare?

Thanks in advance

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Travel: I'm not familiar with the two resorts you listed so I can't compare them to the Bellafonte. One thing about Bonaire is that sandy beaches are far and few between. The best sandy beach we found (Donkey Beach) is about 1/4 from the Bellafonte and right across from the airport. Good luck finding a suitable place.

Olympia, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Just came back from Bonaire. If you're feeling really adventurous, there is a clothing optional resort on the East Side of the island called Sorobon. It is on the cove which also has the Mangrove Park.

They have a really nice (sandy) beach and a reef which protects the first 100 + yards of the water. You can go out almost 150 yards before you get to the coral reef. With a mask and snorkel you can explore the reef... there are many varieties of fish. It feels like you're a million miles out if you start panicking, you can usually just stik your feet on some sand and stand up.

Most of the people who come to the resort are from the Netherlands, some US, and a few Germans. If you're weirded out by nudity, this is not a good choice, but this is strictly about wearing no clothes, and not s**. There were one or two families there, but it is mostly

Because the resort is small (34 rooms) , you won't have to fight for a beach chair. There's a restaurant at the resort, that is nothing fancy, but you also have a small (very) kitchenette in your room. If you don't feel like renting a car the whole time you are in town, you can take the shopping van in for an hour or two during the day.

Kayaks are available. The staff are great, and speak English. There is a guard at night (probably unnecessary, but it makes you feel safe). They have a website, so you might check it out. Good luck and Happy Wedding!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

I've been to Bonaire 6 times and have spent lots of time checking out the accomodations. Since it's your honeymoon I would highly recommend Harbour Village. It certainly meets all of your requirements and you won't be disappointed. The beach front rooms are lovely 20 steps and your on the beach. The beach is great for swimming and snorkling or just laying around-plenty of shady spots.

I would consider renting a car just to get to other spots to snorkle and to check out the island in general-on the other hand you will only be there for 3 days you may never want to leave the grounds of the beautiful Harbour Village resort. You may just want to wait until you get there to decide there are plenty of rental cars available that time of year.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

CONGRATS!

Bellafonte or Harbour Village will both meet your needs. It merely is a choice between a resort or a self contained condo.

Ann

ann@bonairecaribbean.com

IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Afraid I can't help on the accommodations as I stayed at a private house last September. However, you should have a car. You'll want to explore the island and I found a vehicle was great. Actually rented a small truck from Avis. Get the extra insurance and drive slowly. You might be able to hire a taxi for island touring, but no info on that. Sorry. Have fun...I'm sure you will. For your return, they ask you arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure. DO IT! SCUBA and snorkling are really great! I would recommend the "WannaDiveHut" operation at the Eden Beach Resort. They are great! There is a good snorkling beach near the airport as you are driving toward the salt drying ponds.

9jw
England
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Bonaire Honeymoon in Sept.

Book a very romantic table at Richards before you go if possible. It is situated next to the sea at the end of the town close to the Divi Flamingo Hotel. It has fairy lights running along the wall and looks very pretty - but the best thing is a small wooden jetty at the end of which is a single romantic table under a palm thatched cover. the jetty is again lit with lamps along its length. The food/music/wine is good too. We were there in mid August and went twice. It's closed on Mondays - we tried to book the romantic table on Saturday for the following Tuesday - no chance-people book this well in advance. We were told that one couple had their first course then dived into the Caribean for a swim then returned to finish their meal. A very SPECIAL place to eat.

Also go to Wil's for a meal - centre of town two blocks away from the seafront close to the large supermarket. The food is wonderful and the chef/owner will create some gastronomic delights for you eg a starter with a taste of his 4 specialities and a meat and fish main course. The fish soup was exquisite as was the smoked marlin- you can't go wrong whatever you order. His wife will also create a cocktail for you if you are unsure what to order. I think my husband ordered a Captain's something? it came in a wonderful curved stemed maritini glass. We also went their twice and would have alternated between Richard's and Wil's had we found them at the beginning of our holiday and not towards the end.

Have a wonderful honeymoon