We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonaire for us?

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bonaire for us?

My wife and I are looking at spots to take a vacation in January/February of 2009, and we became interested in Bonaire after reading how great the snorkeling and diving is.

We are not divers, but can't get enough of snorkeling. We loved snorkeling in Kaua'i, because there were so many great spots to snorkel from shore. In Grand Cayman, we just didn't enjoy being packed on a boat and snorkeling in a small area with fifteen other couples.

Our biggest concern with Bonaire is that we've read some reports of it being "rather boring if you're not a diver". In Kaua'i, our days consisted of snorkeling in the mornings, having lunch at a local spot, heading to the beach or relaxing on our lanai in the afternoon, and then having a nice dinner and drinks at a oceanfront restaurant.

Would this be the type of day we would find in Bonaire? Are there enough great local spots to keep us happy for a week? Again, we plan on snorkeling every day for a couple hours, but just want to make sure there's enough to do besides that. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

SW Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bonaire for us?

STL, My wife and I have snorkeled in G. Cayman, Bolize, Aruba, Bahamas, Cancun, Maui, Kona, Cozumel, Florida Keys and Bonaire.

NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO BONALRE!! Hawaii has its indigenous fish and they are worth a trip. But taking everything into account Bonaire is our chose. We will be going at least twice a year. The local people are wonderful. We found the resturants very resonable and the food much better than the tourist traps of Hawaii. Learn everything about Bonaire on "bonairetalk.com". It's a great site.

Stockholm
13 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Bonaire for us?

Hi there,

I went to Bonaire at the end of September 07 for 2 weeks with my now-husband. We're non-divers yet still loved every single second of our trip!

I'll tell you what we did, and you can use it as you wish :-)

We stayed at a great apartment, booked through Bonaire Partners, we stayed at Grand Apartment Playa Pabao, which we fell in love with. It's a 15 minute walk in to the town along the sea front, located about 15 metres back from the sea front with a lovely shady veranda (with a hammock, BBQ, nice outdoor furniture and a cool black and yellow bird who took a liking to our breakfast). We rented a scooter from town (I can't remember the name of the place, but located on the right hand side as you walk in to town) for all but 1 day when we upgraded to a 4x4 to go in to the nature reserve.

We spent 2 weeks scooting around the island to various snorkelling points, there were plenty to choose from! We got a map with the apartment with the snorkelling points marked on. We also loved to go to the windsurfing bay, we rented gear a few times and really enjoyed it there. I'm a complete beginner so booked a few lessons too. My husband is pretty ok and he really enjoyed the winds there. It was also a great beach for chilling out on as it has a nice breeze.

The nature reserve is well worth a day trip (or even 2).

The town of Kralendijk (excuse the spelling) certainly isn't a huge party place, but I don't think anyone goes to Bonaire to rave all night! We managed to bump in to a local festival one night which was great. Although the restaurants weren't the best in the world, we had some really nice meals just working our way along the strip. I loved the shaky looking bar with a pier out in to the water, they had happy hour and super Margaritas!

Bonaire certainly isn't packed with activities, but we certainly found enough to amuse us for 2 weeks.

For our honeymoon though I think we're going to try St Lucia as we fancy a little more activity options this time - we're taking at least 3 weeks and Bonaire, we felt at least, wouldn't stretch that long.

Enjoy your trip, let me know if I can help more!

13. Re: Bonaire for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire