We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A B C islands?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
A B C islands?

Is it realistic to plan a trip for 2 or 3 of the islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao?) in 7-10 days or is that too much? I like the idea of a change of pace/scenery, but don't want to waste too much time in airports. Also wondering whether it's best to go all inclusive or if there is a good bed and breakfast element on the islands?

Sounds like Bonaire and Curacao are more chill and more our style. Just two good friends looking for a getaway in October.....

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A B C islands?

Welcome soon. It is doable with two weeks but less would be costly and tiring. You need to pay departure taxes in each island and the air is not cheap. AI vs cheap is your call since it is so vastly different. IMHO taking AI disallows you the op to try the diverse dining options in Aruba. Thankfully Bonaire does not have any AI hotels. It's not that kind of island. Curacao is a busy island with a big city element but one can chill in the country such as in Westpunt.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A B C islands?

I figure that each move (island to island) will effectively "cost" about a day (pack/checkout, wait at airport, flight, get to new hotel, check-in/unpack). So, I'd think that any less than a 12 day trip (3 days visiting, 1 day moving for each island) would be less than "relaxing".

My wife and I travel a fair amount and for some destinations we prefer AI, but for both Aruba (4 visits) and Bonaire (4 visits) we prefer a normal hotel and visiting the many, very good, local restaurants. In Aruba you will have the normal selection of very large American "chain" hotels as well as some smaller local ones, but the emphasis is on the large hotels. In Bonaire most of the resorts are relatively small with 5 - 30 rooms. There are a couple of larger resorts, but somehow they just don't seem to fit the Bonaire style.

If you wan to get some idea of the resorts and restaurants on Aruba and Bonaire, check my trip reports for these islands at my personal web site: www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html Lots of pictures also....

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
72 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A B C islands?

We did it in two weeks, one in Aruba and one in Bonaire. Would never do it in a week!!!. Aruba in to much like a big city, Curacao and Bonaire are much more laid back. That is why we love Bonaire.

Fairfax...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A B C islands?

It definitely can be done. I would choose based upon which island you'll fly to from the US. If you choose Aruba as your first island, it's easier to go to Curacao for a few days. All the inter-island carriers go to Curacao. Tiara Air is the only airline with nonstop flights (one flight per day, not every day) between Aruba and Bonaire. If you both dive, you definitely have to go to Bonaire. www.bonairetalk.com is a good forum site for advice if you are considering Bonaire. There are numerous places in Bonaire that include a nice breakfast. Not so much in Aruba. But you can grab a lovely breakfast for the same $$ as in the US. We prefer to be free roaming travelers, so we always rent a car or jeep and do whatever we feel. I wouldn't want to give up the experiences of exploring and dining at various places around the island. I'll enjoy the inclusive experience someday on a cruise ship, I guess.

Fairfax...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A B C islands?

Let me correct myself. I believe Tiara Air flies direct Aruba to Bonaire once in the morning, and once in the evening on their operating days.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A B C islands?

From Tiara May 16

Aruba-Curacao

3P101 AUA 07.30 CUR 08.05 - Daily, Except Sundays

3P103 AUA 14.00 CUR 14.35 - Sundays

3P105 AUA 17.35 CUR 18.10 - Daily

Curacao-Aruba

3P102 CUR 08.30 AUA 09.05 - Daily, Except Sundays

3P103 CUR 15.00 AUA 15.35 - Sundays

3P106 CUR 18.35 AUA 19.10 - Daily

Aruba-Bonaire

3P303 AUA 11.05 BON 12.00 - Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Sunday

3P305 AUA 19.35 BON 20.25 - Friday -Sunday

Bonaire-Aruba

3P304 BON 12.20 AUA 13.10- Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Sunday

3P306 BON 20.45 AUA 21.35- Friday - Sunday

Aruba- Las Piedras

3P201 AUA 09.30 LSP 09.25- Daily

3P205 AUA 16.00 LSP 15.55- Daily

Las Piedras-Aruba

3P202 LSP 09.45 AUA 10.40 - Daily

3P206 LSP 16.15 AUA 17.10 - Daily

Note: All times are local times at each station.

7. Re: A B C islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 27, 2009