We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XL an absolute nightmare

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
XL an absolute nightmare

I will not promote XL to my guests anymore because in the last 12months I've had 1 flight that left a day late, one that flew manchester via gatwick to Barbados and last weekend a friends son was due to fly last friday back to Manchester - flight cancelled, saturday put up in the Hilton finally left on Sunday - via Gatwick to Manchester he got home Monday evening absolutely shattered!! Don't know if they've only got one plane but certainly better off booking Virgin, First Choice or BMI direct from Manchester!!!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
worthing, sussex uk
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: XL an absolute nightmare

Heres my experience of Excel based on recent flights:

February 2nd - Flew XL ONE from Gatwick via Manchester - left on time, landed at Manchester and arrived in Barbados exactly on time. Excel one was excellent, food good, 50" pitch leather comfortable seats, staff attentive, loads of free drinks, papers, water etc. Had a hand held DVD type console but saw Pirates of the Carribean 2 so no problems there. I,ve flown BA premium and VA Premium in the last few months and this beat both of them for a lot less money.

February 9th - Arrived at the airport to be told the flight was delayed from 6.20pm to around midnight. Excel took all passengers via coach to the Bouganvillia and Barbabos Beach club for dinner and picked us up again at 11.30 for the airport. Got away at around 1pm and flew direct to Gatwick rather than land at Manchester. Great for me and mine but not so good for the poor Manchester passengers who had to get on a charter flight to get back to Manchester. A lot of these people were also delayed by 24 hours going out two weeks earlier.

So my overall experience was fine except for the delay coming home but the unexpected dinner was nice and i,d rather be delayed in Barbados than going out. If XL can sort out the delays they will continue to be a viable alternative to the major carriers. I've used them to Barbados before and also short haul with no problems so I'd use them again based on my experiences.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: XL an absolute nightmare

Paul:- thanks for your input -We are going out on July 13/07 in XL One & for a change we are looking forward to the flight! We have "upgraded" in the past but only to PE on charter flights, I refuse to pay the extortionate extra for"proper" club /1st(even if I could afford it!).Not that we have time on a caribbean flight with the early start ,but do we get "lounge"access?

worthing, sussex uk
Level Contributor
175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: XL an absolute nightmare

Hi Johnthedog,

The guy at the excel desk at Gatwick said that they haven,t been offering the lounge access since Nov 06 even though the website says they do. I,ve been in all the lounges at Gatwick and Heathrow whilst travelling on business and to honest you are not missing much.

Paul

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: XL an absolute nightmare

Thanks Paul :- we've been in some, not exactly Concorde style but quiet(er) & somewhere to relax a bit, ok for evening flights when you have some time.

25. Re: XL an absolute nightmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish
Recent Conversations