We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

Hi All

I booked my holiday with First Choice in Englande. We had no choice but to go AI, from the reviews people have been reccomending not going AI. Just wanted to know why???

Going in 5 weeks cant wait!!! Any last minute tips on Weather/Temperature, flights, mossies and what the essential things i will need to bring with me??

Level Contributor
671 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

I think it is better to go all inclusive in Barbados as eating out can be very expensive!

We didnt have a problem with mossies when we were there but we still put repellant on when going out at night.

Its an absolutely stunning island, the beaches are beautiful. Would recommend going on a day trip round the island. It is very different on the Atlantic side,its rugged with rough seas but well worth a visit.

Wish I was going.

Have a great holiday.

Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

I would recommend that you do take mossie repellent. Although we had no trouble with the mossies, I think it was because we used sprays etc., took Vitamin B1 tablets (think it was Vitamin B1) and my husband drank plenty of the local Banks beer (the yeast acts as a repellent). We stayed next door to Divi Southwinds - it is on a lovely beach. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to walk to from Divi Southwinds, if you do want to opt out of the AI one evening. Eating out can be very expensive, but there are plenty of inexpensive restaurants too (you'd pay similar to here in the UK). Barbados, itself, is a beautiful place and the locals are very friendly, which is why we are going back this year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

Hi Honey2bee

Just returned from Barbados and found the mosquitos pretty bad earlier in the year (Jan and Feb) but not bad in March. Take repellant and use it, especially around sunrise and sunset as that is when the Dengue mosquito is out and about. Some people advise against AI because of the many good restaurants in the gap and you can find reasonable meals. I was told that the AI meals at Southwinds were fine.

Try Leroy's food van - he's in the gap at Southwinds Monday to Friday around 1:15pm.

The weather was rainy in Jan and Feb but we didn't have a drop in March. Should be okay for you.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI @ Divi Southwinds Hotel

Hi Honey2bee,

We have booked through First choice to and go in June. I have done a bit of digging around about the hotel and found a couple for things about the hotel that the brouchure doesn't tell you. The hotel is split by a small one way street between the main hotel and the beach area, which isn't great if you want to sit on the beach and the kids are in the pool. Also as you may have gathered they are renovating at the moment and I would advise you to ring First Choice up and request a renovated room it will make all the difference to your holiday. The good thing about going with First Choice is that the leg room on their flights is good comparied to most and service is good. We went out of way to fly with First Choice again. I think the price for AI is very reasonable and even if you don't eat there every evening the price of drinks lunch and breakfast will cover what you have paid for. I think Thursday's they have a theme evening and another night a BBQ dinner.

Hope you enjoy your holiday

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish