We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploration

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Exploration

OK, I am arriving in 10 days and had a question. I see these little car type vehicles that I believe are called mokes?; what is the deal with these? Can I just go rent one of these for a day, and take a drive to wherever I want to go on the island? What is the charge? Do I need insurance? a special permit? Just want to know some of the cool ways to do things like that. Thanks!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploration

Hi,

Its just like renting a car, only you have no doors!

Take a look on stoutescar.com, I think they have mokes as well as cars.

They are probably great fun, but be aware of two things - Firstly there is nowhere to lock any valuables away and secondly if it rains you will get wet (and so do the seats if the moke is standing).

Exploring the island is great fun, I guarantee you'll get lost!

Hope that helps

Nicky

switzerland
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploration

AND when the sun is shining on the leather seats, you ll burn when you sit on the seats- take a towel!! ;o)

Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploration

Lots of fun. I can't remember the cost, but you do need to purchase a driving permit. And buy the insurance, even if your credit card covers vehicle rentals we were told that they won't cover the mokes. Also they drive on the opposite side of the road than you. So it takes a bit of getting use to for turning and the roundabouts. Also if it is a standard it may take a bit of getting use to. And do not get stuck in rush hour traffic. Good luck!

uk.
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploration

hi psca. you will not get much change from a 100$ aday for the moke. yes for insurance, and yes for a permit. tusks

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploration

We hired a moke for the day thinking it would be fun but really they are not suitable in our view for full exploration of the island. They don't feel too safe and as previous messages have said you have no protection from the sun, and we boiled. You need a towel to cover your legs. Wouldn't have minded the rain so much ! Also security is an issue obviously. After half a day we returned to the rental agency and got a 4 wheel drive with canopy to keep the sun off us, proper seat belts and felt a lot safer on the roads. It may be that we are too old for mokes !! Have a good trip.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploration

The moke reminds me of the car the Flinstones drove - I would rent a jeep.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploration

Check with Stoutes Cars -- excellent quality on all models they have and reasonable pricing. Tell them Lois Swanson suggested you contact them and you'll get a special discount.

Their site is: www.stoutescar.com

It's best to have something reserved in advance, otherwise cars might be booked up and you may wind up waiting a day or two to get one -- especially during high season. Some other companies that have cars available when you arrive may not have as reliable new cars or service as you will get from Stoutes.

Lois

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish