We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sam lord's castle

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auburn MA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
sam lord's castle

Can you get to sam lords castle using the transport system ? Is there a beach that has public access?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sam lord's castle

Sam Lord's castle was destroyed by fire and no longer exists. I don't know about beach access.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sam lord's castle

When we were there in Feb this year we wandered round the grounds out of curiosity - the former 'castle' is a burned out shell. Many of the other buildings were removed a few years ago. At the time there were no longer any locked gates to the site. It's very sad to see it like that.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sam lord's castle

Sam Lord's Castle has been bought by the people from the Crane and will be re-opening as a niche resort so the new owner told our local TV station a few weeks back so watch this space. There will still be beach access as there are no private beaches in Barbados.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sam lord's castle

That's interesting Sue - Doyle (Crane owner) and some Crane staff were walking round when we arrived. We wondered....

New York
Level Contributor
500 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sam lord's castle

When we were at The Crane in February, we had heard that Paul Doyle was in the process of buying Sam Lord's. It will be interesting to see what happens. He is still building at The Crane and was planning to start work at his new resort "Culpepper" when he completed The Crane. We walked around Sam Lord's and thought it would be a fabulous place if someone bought it and restored it. The two beaches looked great.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sam lord's castle

It would be superb to see Sam Lords alive again... the site has amazing potential.

We were quite sad to see the bulldozers had moved in on the Culpepper site - assuming this is Doyle's development and not something else. That wild area above Skeetes Bay and looking out over culpepper island was so unspoiled. Great for walking. The lovely old plantation house there looks to be part of the development. Development seems to be creeping further up the East coast.

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sam lord's castle

Maybe he's found Sam Lord's hidden tresure

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sam lord's castle

Watch and see!!

memphis
Level Contributor
2 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sam lord's castle

I spent several days in Barbados in the mid-80s and stayed at the Marriott Resort at Sam Lord's. Tonight, I was investigating a return trip to take my children to one of the most beautiful places I had ever visited. Until this evening, I was unaware of the sad events that had transpired since my visit. I am heartbroken that such a national treasure was allowed to fall into ruin and subsequently burn to the ground. Needless to say, my excitement has turned to sadness and my children will not experience the thrill I had of visiting Sam Lord's Castle. Truly tragic.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
991 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sam lord's castle

Sue, I have my doubts that Sam Lords will rise from the ashes. That building doesn't look salvageable. My guess would be that the property was bought for the land only, and in the current economy I have doubts that development will happen anytime soon. Just my opinion.