We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
4 posts
Save Topic
Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Hi there,

I am booked to go to the Bouganvilla for Christmas with my girlfriend. Has anyone stayed there who is around 26-30yrs old? I stayed in Amaryllis Hotel last August but found it too quiet. So that is why I picked somewhere a bit busier. Do not want to be too near St. Laurences Gap as I hated the strip. You could have been in Spain not Barbados. but loved all the restaraunts around the Island. So my question is has anyone stayed there and is it a nice hotel?

Maryland, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Ok, I thought I replied to this post earlier, but I guess not. Anyway, I stayed at the Bougainvillea this past month for five days (June 8th-June 12th) with my sister, my best friend, and her cousin. Although we're all younger (in the 21-23 yr range), I still think I can lend you some insight about the hotel. I've been to a few Carib islands, and I can tell you that the Bougainvillea is a nice property/hotel. Its a beachside property and on the South Coast of the island, which I'm sure you already know which means that the water is not calm/rougher waves and not as clear as on the West coast.

The pool is nice, but its only four feet deep on all sides and sometimes leaves/flowers fall in which can make it appear dirty. Also, there can be lots of kids in the pool with their toys and flotation devices. I didn't think the hotel was "quiet" but then again, we only used our room to sleep and to cook meals when we didn't feel like blowing lots of money eating out. The Bougainvillea is located on somewhat of a back road, so you don't hear traffic from the street or anything. In fact, we took a five minute walk through the alley to take the bus to Oistens or to Bridgetown, etc. So, it may seem quiet to you--the only noise we heard at night were the dogs from neighboring properties barking at us when we got too close.

The hotel does give some evening entertainment/music/rum punch that you can hear at night--so that provides some noise.

As I mentioned before, our hotel room was pretty. We had a deluxe suit with a cute balcony overlooking the gardens/pool and our rooms were always cleaned and fresh towels provided. The bathrooms were heavenly (I was horrified when I saw some of the pictures of bathrooms from other hotels in Barbados) and we liked the staff--they were nice to us (maybe because we were four young women)---but we had no problems with the hotel staff. Any charges, etc..we just took to the front desk and handled in a professional, kind way. We didn't get charged for anything crazy.

Since you've been on the island before, I would say eat out instead of dining in unless you feel like spending the extra cash and if you have anymore questions, let me know.

Also, my best friend and I were thinking of going back and staying at the Amaryllis. How was the property? Rooms, beach, etc?

Thanks!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Hi Caribgirl05, I'm planning a trip to Bougainvilla in April for divers.How rough is the ocean, nice enough to swim or snorkel in. Do they have a decent bar? How is their beach? Any other info would be appreciated. Thank you

Maryland, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Hi Ralphy,

In my opinion, the ocean in front of Bougainvillea was very pretty/very blue--but the waves can be a bit strong when there is high tide. Don't expect to be able to see through the water while wading. It is good for swimming, but once again, you have more fun swimming in the water if you're a good swimmer. People who don't swim well and just like to wade will not have that much fun here, but will prefer the west coast with the Caribbean Sea/water. Professional divers, swimmers will enjoy the deep blue water on this side. I didn't snorkel here, so I'm not sure how fun it would be, but I believe they do offer free snorkeling at the Resort. Since you're going in April, the water will probably be a lot calmer and easier to see in. They have a nice beach--plenty of chairs, lots of sand and lots of space (atleast while we were there). The garden/pool/beach area is very, very pretty and looks hot at night when lit up by the lanterns, etc.

The bar is decent. The bar sits right in the middle of the pools. The pool water is 4 ft. high, you can swim and then drink at the bar on some of the stools that sit in the pool water. (I thought this was very cute, but make sure your money doesn't get water). The service at the bar can be slow, but that's the Bajan experience and we thought all of our drinks were good/strong! No watered down drinks here!

Room service was pleasant and the rooms are very nice as well. As I mentioned before, the bathrooms are good, much better than what I've seen on some of the other properties. Soap/shampoo comes out of dispensers that are attached to the walls. I have some pictures of my digital camera of the property which, when I stop being so lazy, I will post on the site.

If you're in a suite with a kitchenette, etc. you'll find that all of the necessary pots and pans are available---and even cute dishware/cups, wine glasses, etc. There is a big fridge/freezer, oven, microwaves, etc. Go buy dishwashing soap however! There is a small store a 3-4 minute walk (really close) to the hotel where you can buy small items to cook, wash dishes, etc. We took the bus to the big grocery store, but when we needed extra butter, we bought it from the little store.

Sorry if I was repetitive. Let me know if I can clarify anything for you as my response was sort of choppy. Anymore questions? Let me know.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Hi Caribgirl, how far a walk is St. Lawrence Gap, I read that it has restaurants and shopping and bars. Does the hotel offer a shuttle to Bridgetown? Would you advise renting a car for a couple of days to explore the island, we want to go to the rum factories and the Banks beer brewery.I would love to see pictures of the resort and or island.Thanks for your reply.Here is my email scubadudes@charter.net. Try to send pics.

Maryland, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

St. Lawrence Gap is a few miles from the Bougainvillea, so your best bet is to either take a taxi (can get expensive), do like we did and take the mini-buses everywhere for 1.50 Bajan which is 75 cents U.S., or rent a car, which although we didn't do this ourselves, makes a lot more sense. We preferred the buses because we wanted to "emerge ourselves in Barbados" and weren't there long enough to require a car rental, but I think your best bet is either a car or a bus because taking tours can get very pricey when you start adding them all up. We didn't do either tour you mentioned, but they are both available from the hotel.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that if you do decide to take the Bajan buses to go to some locales, there is a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the main street to pick up the bus. At night this can prove quite entertaining as we were four women fending off men and guard dogs who were watching the adjacent neighborhood properties at night. Secret hint: If you're silly like me you can throw bones at the dogs and they shutup really quickly!!!!

But for you and your group I definitely think a car would work best. Don't forget to see the West coast of the island because the beaches (in my opinion) are a lot prettier on that side and as I said before, plenty of calmer water is on that side--perfect for scuba diving.

Don't worry though, in the hotel rooms there are plenty of pamphlets books to tell you about where to go on the island based on your particular preferences. Also, at the front of the hotel pick up a "Friends" guide (I think that's what it was called), it tells you which clubs/bars are good on any given night of the week and even tells you what the cover will be, even though we found out quickly that this information can be very wrong!

I'm sure you read most of the reviews here, but St. Lawrence Gap/Bridgetown is where everything is usually "popping" at night. Most of the shopping occurs in Bridgetown, but make sure you do it on Monday-Saturday as all shops are closed on Sunday. 24/7 food entertainment is available at the Lucky Horseshoe which is close to the big pink market and a few other places to eat.

You have to do Oistens on Friday night because the fish fry is delicious and the music is cool. If you like pool there is a fun pool bar right across the street from the fish fry area.

I'll put the pictures up as soon as I can!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bouganvilla Beach resort.

Bouganvilla is in the st.lawrences gap, just at the nvery end, ive been there 2 times a year for the last 10 years....it is no more then a 15 min walk to the area where all the bars and restaurants are...good bras there are my fave, the ship inn, ive alot of friends that work there, that is inthe st lawrences gap, a few doors down is mcbrides and further on is the boatyard and harboru lights, always a good night out!! restaurants do tend to close at 10pm which is a bummer, but the street vedors keep open and theres a grill inthe ship inn, all lovely food, while there you got to make a trip to the oistins fish fry on a friday night, a memoralbe experience where you will taste the best fresh fish and mac pie!! the beach can be rough and wouldnt be the best for snorkelling, but its does have calm days, try going on one of the catmaran day cruises where they take you to reefs with wrecks on them and you can snorkels there too. cool runnings is the name of one owned by a guy a know out there, robert. Good day out