We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I have some advice

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne. New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Can I have some advice

My husband and I are going to travel to Barbados the first week of Dec. I heard the food is very expensive. Can someone tell me what they mean by expensive. I also found a Resort called Casuarina Hotel and it is rated by trip advisor as a 6 but it is so cheap. Does anyone have thoughts on that one. I guess what I am getting at is I am a Virgin to Barbados and I am looking for some solid advice. Please Help

Northants UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I have some advice

Your Hotel is about 15 minutes walk from St Lawrence Gap which hasa number of decent restaurants. Josefs is V expensive, but one of the best on the Island. The majority of the others charge about ��15 to ��20 equivalent for a main meal. Therefore three courses with drinks for two is about ��60.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I have some advice

Hello there Sandyprime. Take the opportunity and visit Oistins Fish Fry on a Friday Night. Its the place to be for great local Island cuisine. Visitors and locals alike come together and have lots of fun. Great value for your money. There is a variety of restaurants on the Island. Be adventerous and experience the local eats and treats. Be sure to pick-up the "VISITOR GUIDE" great publication for those new travellers to the Island. Have fun.

Calgary, Alberta
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I have some advice

Hello,My boyfriend and I just got back from a weeks vacation in Barbados and researched some of the Hotels while we were there. Our hotel, "Blue Orchids" was a wonderful choice. We had a beachfront/pool/oceanfront studio apartment with a kitchenette. Accra Beach hotel which is a 4 stare was situated 2 minutes west of us where there were a lot of shops and a couple of restaurants nearby. Our hotel was perfect, not being in the busy part of the St. Lawrence Gap but was close enough to enjoy a nice walk to. We walked to Big B's supermarket for our food which we spent about $ 100.00 for the whole week eating well. Whole raw chickens were approx $ 7 - 8 dollars and cooked them ourselves. Other nights and days we did have beef stewed cuts and made a stew. Eggs were about $3.00/ doz. With rice, spices, sauces etc. were about $ 1.00 - 5$ 5.00. Broccoli and veggies were pretty pricey. We paid about $ 90.00 U.S.dollars for our room a night because they were offering a promo. Your hotel is pretty nice but we didn't walk through the property.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I have some advice

We're off to Barbados week on Friday for 2 weeks so will be there the same time as you. We are also new to the country and staying at the Casuarina Hotel. We intend cooking some of our own food and are told there's a shuttle bus to the local large supermarket but that the nearest one does have tourist prices.

canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I have some advice

Causarina's a beautiful hotel with a fabulous garden area. We loved it. Most the guest were from the UK and returned every year. It's in the quiet end of the gap next to turtle beach resort. Rooms aern't directly on the beach but a short walk away. We stayed there for two weeks christmas 2003. The rooms are adequate with a nice balcony. There's a kitchen area with utensils. The bathroom is small to average size with shower only. There's an adult plus a children's pool and a kid's club with activities for kids of all ages. There's laundry facilities. The hotel have activities on a daily basis (not all are free). They include excursions to major attractions. Evening entertainment is very basic. We had dinner on the beach while we were there including recorded music and dancing. There's a shuttle bus that takes you to the big B supermarket for your grocery purchases and a shuttle that takes you shopping in Bridgetown. There's alot of restaurants in the gap. The bean and bagel, a short walk away is good for breakfast. A small restaurant called Just Stop offers delicious food. There are too many to mention. We found the food at the hotel to be quiet bland and undesirable. The restaurant's not run by the hotel. Their sister hotel (Bouginvilla) is a short walk down the beach and offers buffet meals with entertainment some evenings. We booked dinner time in advance during the day. Most of Causarina's guests went there instead. The Causarina got the cruise ship staff and passengers for dinner. Take the safari tour if you can. It's wonderful adventure and includes a delicious lunch. You should enjoy your stay at the Causarina and in Barbados. We will be there two weeks in February. I wish we were at the Causarina but we got a great deal on two other hotels. Enjoy!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I have some advice

We just came back from Barbados. Only stayed 3 nites. We were on a ship the rest of the time. In St. Lawrence Gap we stayed at the Southern Palms. It's nice. Tile floors, air condition. Nothing fancy. Service in the bar was horrible.

Breakfeast Buffet was ok. We ate at The Steakhouse and The Harlequin restaurants. Both ran about 140 Barbados which is 70 US. Most of the hotels I believe have some sort of refrigerators or kitenettes. You could always cook your own food. We also had lunch at the Chinese Jade Inn across from our Hotel. It was inexpensive and lots of food.

At nite they also have food vendors on the street which didn't look too bad also. I also saw Casuarina on the web only reason we didn't look into in was it was talked about as family friendly and we were looking for something more quiet.

Oh, by the way the beach in front of the Southern Palms is wonderful. Warm, can get some waves but nothing scary. Also they have turtles in the water which we found to be fasincating. You will have a great time.

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I have some advice

Hi.......compared to US there is a cost uplift, for us Brits it works out ok, you can eat 'cheap and cheerfull'...KFC / Cheffette etc mid range eateries in Holetown and the GAp, and also top class International Standard, eg the Cliff, Lone Star Garage etc (and Sandy Lane) However there is such a lot of choice, and local supermarkets are great.

Casurina is in a nice spot, just on the edge of the Gap, handy if you want to go to Oistinds for Friday Night...... Decent quality but not de-luxe. Entertainment provided, beach good.

Enjoy

Nigel

Gulf Breeze FL
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I have some advice

Wife and I just returned from Barbados and other Caribbean spots. We liked the Casuarina. Found it as advertised. Staff was nice. Free Internet cafe.

Carl J.

Respond if you like

cmjeffcoat@aol.com

Cambria Heights, NY
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I have some advice

I have stayed at the Casuarina. In my experience, the cost of food there is about the same as you would expect to pay in the U.S. for a comparable meal. I guess in Barbadian dollars that would be expensive, but with the U.S. exchange, you should be fine. Outside of the Casuarina, I did not find the price of food to be a problem either. In fact I found myself buying two portions of food, just because I could afford it (Shame on me!). By the way, the Casuarina is an absolutely beautiful place to stay.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I have some advice

Casuarina is a great bargain. Eating out can be expensive but you can save at the Casuarina by self catering for lunch and breakfast. There is a small convenience store on site and a small supermarket 5 minutes walk away. There are several cafes selling sandwiches bagels etc near Casuarina for less that 10usd including drinks. The grounds around Casuaria are beautiful and large and the beach is large clean and almost private. The Gap with lots of restaurants is a 10-15 minute walk away. Food in the Casuarina is cheap and OK if you are hungry. The bar is reasonably priced and not too dear. Some of the Casuarina rooms are slightly shabby but are clean and all have original Caribbean art on the walls. I have been to casuarina twice, I am booked to go back and would thoroughly recommend it.