We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

Hello all,

My other half wanted to know what the low-down on carrying her Wedding Dress on board a BMI flight to Barbados is.

Any info would be appreciated.............:-)

Keith

CHESHIRE
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

It is a general airline rule that wedding dresses must be packed in a suitcase in the hold, this applies to UK airlines, unless you are travelling first/upper class then you may be allowed to take the dress on board in a suitable cover and hung in the cabin crew's/passengers wardrobe.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

when I was in the process of getting married, almost 15years ago, I traveled back and forth between Dallas TX and Raleigh NC. On Several occasions I traveled with my wedding gown,and always took it onboard,and had the flight attendent put it in the front hanging item closet (along with the stollers etc). of course it was in a fully protected carry bag..so that helped..

sorry have no idea about BMI and if it were me, I'd be asking them direct.. by the way.. play dumb and carry it onboard,and see what someone tells you..

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
834 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

Is the wedding dress a bikini? Otherwise, I fear it may fall foul of the "one piece and one piece only within strict size limits of hand baggage" policy.

NORTH WEST
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

Keith, it will definitely have to go in the hold, and you wouldn't get past check in with it. Virgin and BA have the same policy. Although if it is in a protective sheet and packed in a box they will put it through without charge.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

I believe the formal policy is as other posters have mentioned - that it has to go in the hold....luckily you get 2 pieces of luggage each, so it isn't too much of an issue.

However, on my last Virgin flight I overheard the cabin crew talking - one guy's wife to be had been told at check-in that she had to check her dress in and the crew were saying they would have let her take it on board.

I packed mine in a suitcase all on its own. If you decide to chance it to take it on board you are dependent on getting it through check in and then getting an understanding crew....too dodgy if you ask me. Plus, if you assume you might be able to take it on board and are refused it won't be packed well enough to be checked in.

One useful thing that someone told me was to take a duvet cover with you - it is great for storing your dress in to keep it clean and doesn't get any moisture build up - plus my mum used mine to put on the floor under the ironing board when she got the few creases out on the big day.

Good luck.

Nicky

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

I haven't got a BIG puffy type dress but plan to pack in one of those vacuum bags and take in my handlugage next March assuming there have been no security reg. amends. May do same with other half's suit. If your bag meets BAA / airline size and weight regulations you should be able to take it on board as far as I can tell.

lots of threads about this sort of thing on wedding forum wedding abroad boards. It's of those regular threads like currency on here

hop on here and do a search

youandyourwedding.co.uk/index.php/…17

HTH

charlie_mouse :)

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

interestingly, having my own lunchtime browse on there and the last post on the barbados weddings thread says...

"Just thought I would let you know we got married in Barbados 7 wks ago at the Hilton and we flew there with BMI and back with Virgin they both let me take my dress on as hand luggage and they hung it in the wardrobe for me. Trust me my dress was huge as well! you can see if you look at my pics from an earlier reply..."

I'd definately check this sort of thing out or have a contingency plan though. Don't turn up expecting anything.

(apologies if I'm breaching any sort of TA rule listing another forum but this sort of thing is useful)

WIGAN UK
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

It says in Virgin's weddings in the caribbean page that the wedding dress must go in the hold, how you would get past check in I dont know. I checked my aunt in for a flight from Manchester yesterday and they were insisting on one small bag for hand luggage only.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

I supose the theory is it's just clothes..if you can have a t-shirt /shorts / bikini in your bag and your liquids/sharp objects etc all meet the regs - you are complying. A dress should be the same. There shouldn't be a distinction.

On virgin you have a Cabin baggage size of length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm including wheels, handles, side pockets etc. That's actualy quite big. Mine should easily fit in there so I'm hopeful but will investgae nearer the time.

Huge dresses that weigh a tonne, have sharp boning perhaps and don't fit would certainly be an issue and have to go in the hold.

Thank goodness for slinky dresses!

:)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Dress on BMI. Onboard?

Thanks for all the posts, I'm going to phone them again (couldn't get any sense 1st time).

I think I'll suggest to the other half that she put's it in the hold.......let her worry about it all the way there! :-)

Well, off tomorrow so, for those who are staying in blighty, hope the weather improves.

Cheers,

Keith