We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Barbados

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston ma
2 posts
Save Topic
First time in Barbados

Hi All;

My daughter and new husband gave my wife and I a week in Barbados as a wedding thank you, staying at "time out at the gap". We are beach bums, and like to go sailing, but other then that we like peace and quite. i like the idea of being near stores and food. After reading some reviews I am a little nervous about the gap. Any advice would be appreciated. Should we trade up hotels and how expensive is it to do so? Must see places? Car rentals? Cruises? Restaurants? I am not into snorkeling. We are going 11/29 - 12/6

Thanx

Jerry

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Barbados

Jerry --Barbados is a wonderful island and you will love it. Time Out is a good value, but if you like peace and quiet, you may want to move to a different location. The Gap is still the place to be most evenings, and a recent (very expensive) renovation project in that area has improved it. There are a number of good restaurants there, but also several clubs that attract a large number of tourists. You may want to move to a more peaceful location, such as the Casuarina. You might want to rent a car and tool around the island a bit -- the scenery is great and there really is a lot to do. I would explore and enjoy! I've been going to Barbados for 12 years and can't wait to get there myself in just 10 days!!Jan

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Barbados

Jan is spot on in her assessment, we have been 10 times in the last 17 years. The Gap is much improved,'Time Out' is a little on the 'basic' side, but Casurina would be well worth the extra.There is an excellent range of restaurant's ranging from Chinese, Bajan, Italian,Steak Houses, etc etc. 'David's ' is a slightly upmarket restaurant on the edge of the Gap, get a table by the huge open windows when it's dark...superbCar/Jeep/Moke hire is a must, as well as the almost continuous 'route buses' which are little mini buses that stop on demmand, 3 Dollars BDs takes you anywhere, they have loud music, and it's a squeeze..but great funGo up the West Coast to see superb beaches, and down the Atlantic side for rough surfing type places like Bathsheba.Food ranges frm cheap and cheerful diners, KFC etc, up to international / world class....enjoyNigel

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Barbados

The Gap is actually pretty good and we didn't appreciate it until the second to last night there. Lot's of very good establishments but make sure you either have reservations or get to the establishment early. Beaches are very good but real problems with currents in the water near shore. the real problem down there is the never ending parade of beach merchants that the hotels do not seem to restrict. They actually wake you up to sell you something!

Rooms at the Turtle Beach were dissapointing but you aren't in the very often. Did the catamaran booze snorkeling cruise one day with teenage daughter and her friend and had to fight off the crew as they did their best to pick up the girls! Can't remember the name but it was a large red cat.

MD
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Barbados

Dear Jerry,

I just came from Barbados on Tuesday after I spent 5 days, and what will shock you the most in that island is that everything is very expensive especially food, in the area of St Laurence Gap there is restaurant called Chefette which is a chain in the island (13 in totals) and they have some good food especially one sandwich called Roti which and I recommend the Roti beef or chicken with potato which runs $4.00 US.

They also have an excellent ice cream called Vanilla with resin and rum which runs $2.00 US for a large cone with two scoopes.

If you rented a car go to Oisten at night to the fish market especially on Friday and order a marinated grilled fish with salad and rice, it is a big delicious chunck of fish and runs $10.00-$12.50 US for a dish, it is one hell of an experience.

All the restaurants in the Gap area are expensive and there is something called service charge which you should make sure if it is included in the price of the dish or not.

The rental car, look in the white or yellow book for Elite rent a car and call them then ask for Lisa Lewis, she has some nice very small cars called Diahatsu Chefelle and they run at $50.00 US a day including all taxes and Insurance which might not cover the first $750.00 dollars if yo had an accident and it was your fault, you can pick up the car anywhere in the island and drop it any where, I left mine in the airport, tell her Andrew who just stayed in the Crane Hotel recommended you.

If you don't like to spend money on the rental car, they have an extensive network of public buses that runs all over the island for 75 cents (US) per person, it is good and a bus runs every few minutes, I tried it personally few times.

The Atlantic side of the island is always rough, go to the Caribbean side which runs from the Hilton Hotel north of the Gap and up towards Speighstown if you like to do snorkling, they have many beaches with most of them have free public access to.

Should you have more questions to me, please Email me.

Andrew