We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on review

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on review

I am at the begining stages of planning a trip to Barbados. I have visited once before for a very short stay and had a pleasant time, with wonderful locals and always said I would like to return. I would like comments on a review I read. I understand everyones views about an island are different and sometimes when someone is disgruntled about their hotel they seem to want to take it out on the locals or the whole island. Since its been years since my visit I would like any comments or opinions, not on the hotel ,but the reviewers comments and opinions about the locals and other negitive vibes from this review. Thank for your thoughts on this.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1183234-d14…

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on review

Hi there,

I must admit when I saw your question I just knew which review you must be refering to. At the time it was posted there were many comments about it on this forum - check out here:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k6819…

about the 2nd or 3rd post down.....

Sarah

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on review

SCARY --started to read the review but soon lost the will to live!! Sounds like one unhappy chappie! I doubt if he would be happy anywhereI (suppose it was a HE sounded like one!)

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on review

HI there,

That review got an absolute slamming here on the forums (yeah Scary, I knew straight away which one it was too!!!!) Here's the discussion about that very review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k6822…

manchester
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on review

goldendeal40

i knew as well what review you were talking about. i often wonder why people who find fault in everything go on holiday at all. you could tell by their attitude they probably had a bad attitude towards the locals or natives as they kept saying. it was that bad it was funny.

one thing that sticks on my mind how nice the bajan people are . in july my friend and myself got the reggae bus into bridgetown. we were a bit unsure were to get off, so my friend asked a elderly lady and she told us where to get off the bus. she actually got off the bus with us and took us to cape shepherd where we were going, which was way out of the ladies way. also we had trouble keeping up with her she was a very fit lady for 73. so as that reviewer had put that the locals are poor, lie etc may have met the exception to the rule i doubt it i think they had a bad attitude and gave out that vibe.

i will be returning in july for crop over i love barbados it is a lovely friendly country enjoy your planning and have a great holiday

regards

jackie

London, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on review

Have to agree, that guy's review was a bit harsh, and references to the "natives" surely went out with the abolishen of slavery didn't they!?

Anyway, have to agree with him though that I am very wary of the food in Barbados - all the websites for even the nice restaurants eg The Cliff, Tides, Olives etc show huge portions of food swimming in cream sauces that you'd struggle to eat on a cold winters day in London - lamb chops!!?!?!?! WHY on earth they serve this stuff in the tropics is beyond me, and then charge an extortionate amount for what looks like very mediocre food !?

We are going in February and I wonder if a decent, non-American portion salad or other dish without a cream sauce, boiled vegetables or 20 ingredients per plate exists ANYWHERE on this island?

WIGAN UK
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on review

I totally disagree one of the reasons we keep returning to this fabulous island is for the superb food and of course the lovely Bajan people. The Cliff is amongst the top restaurants in the world and I have never eaten anything there 'swimming' in sauce, the service and food are impeccable.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,269 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on review

That review is totally untrue and unfair.

Javon

CHESHIRE
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments on review

Javon I totally agree with you on this one. Barbados is renowned for its fantastic restaurants and quality of food. Where is this person coming from boiled veg, 20 items on plate, swimming in sauce, I dont think the likes of Simon Cowell, Michael Winner etc would frequent Barbados if this was typical of its restaurants !!!!! I AM ASTOUNDED !!!!!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comments on review

Yes I remember this post. The person would do better to just stay at home and not ever visit anywhere. Sounds like someone you wouldn't want to be married to!

Personally I like Javon's reply. I have a friend that moved to Barbados 5 years ago and he loves it. We have visited 3 times since then and I would go at any time. Things may be a bit expensive on the island but there is not much for production and export, hydro and fuel costs a lot of money, etc. Also remember that for a US citizen the money is 2 to 1 which does not make it that bad. We found many things right on par with what we pay here in Canada. 2 dollars for a bottle of ketchup or a dollar for a can of pasta sauce was good. Milk is really expensive but I think it's the best tasting milk I have ever had.

Street venders are all over and a simple no thank you is pretty much all you need if you do not want to buy an aloe plant or coconut. Drugs well that is no different than most places, again say no and keep walking. Use comon sense like you would at home.

Cheers

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comments on review

-"Anyway, have to agree with him though that I am very wary of the food in Barbados - all the websites for even the nice restaurants eg The Cliff, Tides, Olives etc show huge portions of food swimming in cream sauces that you'd struggle to eat on a cold winters day in London - lamb chops!!?!?!?! WHY on earth they serve this stuff in the tropics is beyond me, and then charge an extortionate amount for what looks like very mediocre food !?

We are going in February and I wonder if a decent, non-American portion salad or other dish without a cream sauce, boiled vegetables or 20 ingredients per plate exists ANYWHERE on this island?..."

What? You haven't even visited here yet and already you are complaining about the restaurants all on the strength of the PICTURES and the LOOK of the food!!! Yikes! Many restaurants here are fabulous, of course they cater to all tastes; thus the likes of the lamb chops, there's only so much flying fish a person can eat, whether in the tropics or elsewhere! Where you are coming up with the (incorrect) notion that the portions are "American" sized and all the other odd criticisims is beyond me as, in my experience, your pre-conceived ideas about the dining experience in Barbados are way off base.

Good luck to those who serve you!