We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Club Resort

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
The Club Resort

Evening all,

Due to Sandals closing for renovations in April, therefore cancelling our stay in May, we have been offered a choice of The Club Resort or Sea Breeze hotel. As we have booked our flights separately, it's looking like our only option is to continue to stay on Barbados but clearly, change our hotel.

I've read various reviews on The Club on TA but am still a little concerned that The Club is the best resort for us. We would prefer Adult Only (we're past taking our kids away with us now!) and this holiday is for my 50th birthday so can't change dates either.

We don't really like loud & noisy resorts, we prefer resorts with less than 300 rooms, we want AI with a good selection of bars/food choices and with a beach, pools and not having to play the sunbed game first thing in the morning.

As a back up to The Club or Sea Breeze (which does take families, although we're not travelling in UK school holiday time), what do people think about possible other options? We've paid £3,500 for this holiday and may be able to get away with a bit more as I think Sandals should bear any additional costs as we can't change to another island.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, I'm looking for quick replies as we need to let our TA know in the next day or two what we want to do.

Thanks very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Club Resort

Check out Waves resort.

It is mainly adults that go there.

It doesn't have a large selection of bars or restaurants but what they serve is good quality.

It also small and compact.

Only sold through Virgin Holidays though, but they may take direct bookings.

Edited: 3:14 pm, February 04, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Club Resort

Thanks, we stayed there 10 years ago when it was Escape at Prospect Bay & I did look at it today but it doesn't appeal but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Club Resort

It was the only AI hotel I could think of that caters for adults and is virtually child free.

That is going to be your problem - no adults only AI resorts until Sandals opens againin December.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Club Resort

Hmmm, you could try holding out/pushing for Crystal Cove or Turtle Beach which are both AI. I think that they will be more expensive though. Worth a look though. They won't necessarily be child free but since you aren't travelling in school Hols .....

Other AIs are SoCo and Mango Bay.

Good luck!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Club Resort

Would also suggest trying for Crystal Cove if you are not happy with the offer of The Club (which seems to fit most of your criteria specially as kids will be in school anyhow at that time) - otherwise there is Sugar Cane Club AI - good reviews- not on the beach - but they provide a shuttle I believe

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Club Resort

notice Crystal Cove had a winter high season special on which had a 20% discount (seems if they were offering a big discount for high season _Sandals might be able to "swing" a deal for you in May there )

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Club Resort

Thanks for replies. Hubby really fancies The Club and yes, it does meet almost all our criteria and it's main draw is it's adult only. There are only 2 adult only hotels in Barbados, The Club is the other.......

It may not be school hols in the UK but hubby has visions of lots of little kids who are too young for school or parents who will take the fine & remove their kids from school for a cheaper holiday & I get his point.

Our TA did mention Mango Bay & Turtle Beach already but she is trying to compare what we had booked with Sandals and looking for as close to that as possible.

I've priced up The Club with the room on offer, on our TA site and it's a bit cheaper than we paid for Sandals, so we'll get that back, we'll get transfers included and I've asked for extra treats to make up for the inconvenience caused.

The other thing we have to bear in mind is that once all the other TA's know about this, they will have to move their guests and the better rooms in the better hotels will get booked out, so I now understand we need to move quite quickly and to be fair to our TA, I think they've been very helpful in our case. Other comments on the Facebook page suggest others are worse off than us, so it could be worse.

We also bear in mind that we chose Barbados for the Island, not Sandals as it wasn't even a Sandals resort when we booked, it was for more than that. In that respect, we shouldn't change our minds, it's just very disappointing that Sandals have done this at this time. They should have just stopped accepting bookings perhaps from this summer. The cynic in me thinks they kept open during their highest money making period, close down during low season (less money) & open again for high season......

Torquay, England
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Club Resort

I notice you want a hotel with a beach. I believe The Club does not have a beach, you would have to walk to another one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Club Resort

I do like the beaches in Barbados and it's the only place I've ever really spent time on the beach, I'm more of a pool person. Having looked at several sites and the traveller photos on TA, yes it's lacking but there is a little bit of beach that seems to be accessible for a time during the day and as you say, beaches are close by and there are 3 pools at The Club so all is not lost, this is the compromise for us. However, taking everything else into account, and our other criteria, this seems to be our best option.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Club Resort

Beach/.sea at the Club is mainly coral - so walk a bit and use Sandy Lane's beach etc. - beaches are public below the high water mark

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish