We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

I have just read the your couple who are about to visit this hotel for their honeymoon. We have booked it for our 30 wedding Annv. and have been trying since 22 April to upgrade to a superior room because of the noise from the local bars, which apparently goes on till the wee small hours....

Mango Bay have confirmed there are rooms available but Virgin state there is not. 12 emails, 2 phone call to Barbados and we are still at status quo.

we could book direct but won't send C/C and ID copies over an unsecure website and hotel unable to take C/C information over the phone?

Does anyone have information I could use to ensure a quiet nights sleep :)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

Virgin probably buy a set amount of rooms at a certain rate and that is what they mean by this. If the hotel will allow you to upgrade as a separate transaction with them maybe that will be the only way to do it. I understand what you mean about cc details but I seem to do quite a few Barbados bookings etc via email, not ideal I know but I have booked deposits at Port St Charles this way and for Cool Runnings etc. and touch wood never had a problem. I can't understand why they wouldn't let you ring up and do it via the telephone though, seems odd, unless they are worried about fraud and hence need the ID to go with the credit card. I know they have started to ask for this in the supermarket the last few years so maybe cc fraud has been an issue in Barbados. If it were me I think I would just do it, rather that than have sleepless nights with noise. Hope you get sorted out.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

I agree with uktripfan that Virgin have probably sold their allocation. So, phone the hotel directly and say you would like to upgrade your room and pay them the balance on arrival. The upgrade shouldn't need a card to secure it - after all your basic booking is already secured and paid for via Virgin. Anyway, I'd trust the hotel with my details - seems a bit mad but many reputable companies deal that way in Barbados.

Edited: 4:49 pm, May 14, 2013
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
202 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

Hi Mary,

We booked a Superior room with Virgin but decided to upgrade to seaview. Virgin told us to contact the hotel direct as they didn't have any seaview remaining. We e-mailed Mango Bay and they gave us the cost and we settled with them when we checked out. Really straight forward give it a go.

4. Re: Virgin holiday upgrade issue for Mango Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 17, 2014