We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merlin's Bay villas

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Merlin's Bay villas

Hi all:

I have been looking for a villa for our winter vacation. We have travelled the Caribbean quite extensively, but this would be our first trip to Barbados.

The Oceanview villa at Merlin's Bay looks interesting. Does anyone have some recent experience with this group of villas?

The website is not bad, however it is difficult to tell if they are well kept, and have updated furnishings/appliances. They appear to older buildings - are they in good repair? Is this an "upscale" area? I think I read that St. James area is rather nice.

I appreciate any information that you can share - good, bad or ugly.

Annie

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

AlbertaAnnie

I haven't been there but can comment on the location. Merlin Bay is located in the Garden, St. James which is a largley middle-class residential area. It is not as "upscale" as Holetown, Sunset Crest or Vauxhall St. James, but still good enough. Your closest restaurants would be Ramshackles, Lonestar and the ones at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion.

Hope this helps

Regards

Antigua
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

Merlin Bay is a great choice for a Barbados trip. Gingerbread has recently been refurbished-was there with friends last November. Check Bajan Services website www.bajanservices.com - they have loads of info on these units and lots of others too. Hope this helps and enjoy your visit!

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

BGIWorldTraveller:

I suspect your advice is always spot on, so I am wondering if you would consider this as nice a beach area say as Sandy Lane.

I realize I am comparing apples and oranges, but we would really prefer to have a villa as opposed to a condo or an apartment. So, if it's not so nice I guess I could look at SL and pony up if it's a better fit.

This is just a preliminary query, as we have not decided on any specific Island yet.

Just tossing around ideas such as Anguilla, Virgin Gorda, the southern Bahamian islands and Barbados.

Very good of you to respond.

Annie

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

AlbertaAnnie

You're welcome!

The beach area there is superb so you shouldn't worry. If Sandy Lane is in your budget, I'd recommend it without hesitation as well. Let us know what you decide.

Regards

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

I made inquiries with Island hidaways and Ocean View is not available for our time frame, however "nutmeg" in the same complex is.

Any reviews or assistance is most welcome.

Westminster...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

Hi, my family of 5 stayed at Hibiscus at Merlin Bay for a week in Dec 2011 - our first trip to Barbados. The buildings are older, but in good repair, and well kept. Our house staff - a cook and a maid/laundress - were wonderful. The furniture is not the most modern, the sofa was built-in, but the beds and everything else were very comfortable. These are two story units and the layout of each is a little different; ours had two bedrooms upstairs and one down. Everything was kept very clean including our private plunge pool and the community pool. Hibiscus had an outdoor table but not really big enough for our family with 3 teens to eat outside, so we did all of our meals inside. This was fine and our cook was awesome - delicious meals for a week! Our private outdoor patio space was a little small, room for the outdoor table and two chaise lounges by the plunge pool. This worked fine as there are more chaise lounges by the larger community pool. The community pool was quite large and almost always empty. You walk from that terrace right down to the beach. We had a great time relaxing here for a week. Loved Barbados - did the sea turtle cruise and a safari overland adventure. For info on Barbados, check this website, a wealth of information: barbadostips.com/Barbados_Tips/Welcome.html

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

AnneB Thank you very much for your great answers.

Was the beach you were at very busy? Did it have loungers? Good for swimming?

Is the area of Merlin' cottages very congested?

Answers are always appreciated.

Annie

8. Re: Merlin's Bay villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 21, 2013