We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

could anyone tell me if we will need to pay anything when we enter barbados please, if so how much, would i need to pay in their money or american dollars

thanks

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

The only money you may require on entry to Barbados is if you need a porter ( red cap ) for your luggage. US or Bajan dollars accepted .If not ,and if you don't need to pay for transport to your accommodation, no money is required at the Airport. I know this is not what you mean, but in case you don't know, there is a Duty Free shop in Arrivals----------------but they take cards there.

Edited: 7:01 am, January 01, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

thankyou for your reply

it was that i didnt know if we would have to pay any taxes to enter

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

ps. Whatever you do .DON'T get Bajan dollars in the UK, take a few US dollars for the first day if necessary and change Sterling for Bajan Dollars at the Bank-----------------hugely, the best rate of exchange. Avoid changing any money at all at the Airport either in the UK or in Barbados. You will get the worst possible exchange rate..

I realise what your post referred to, but I thought I'd mention other things in case

Edited: 7:07 am, January 01, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
850 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

Would you have to change your sterling at a bank or do the hotels do this also? We were advised by travel agent to take Bajan dollars.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

holidaydreams

Do NOT take Barbados dollars to Barbados from the UK. Take your credit/debit card, Pound Sterling and also some USD.

Although the hotels accept Pounds, the rate will be poor compared to any of our commericial banks. So take your £ to the bank in Barbados to get the best possible rate.

I always recommend persons to take USD and GBP from the UK. Don't purchase BBD in the UK as you can receive a much better rate in Barbados. If you purchase BBD in the UK the rate won't be nearly as generous and is usually around £1 to $2.86. In Barbados, you'll get about $3.02 currently for £1.

I would recommend you get your USD from M&S Travel Money which is commission free with very competitive rates. USD can be exchanged on the street in Barbados at $2 for $1 USD. However, in some stores/restaurants, you will receive anything betweeen $1.95 and $1.98.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Edited: 12:52 pm, January 01, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

I'm not sure why people keep advising not to change money at the airport? I regularly change stirling into $ bbs and often get a better rate than at the bank. This was certainly the case in November - I wished I had changed all my money at the airport!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

carole911

There is only one bank at BGI and that's the Barbados National Bank, one booth in arrivals one booth in departures and one full branch in the main terminal building. All commercial banks in Barbados offer the SAME rates for foreign exchange which are regulated by the Central Bank of Barbados. However, the BNB applies a nominal service fee to many foreign exchange transactions done at the airport, and this happened to me as recently as December 16th while travelling.

The reason you may think you got a better rate at the airport is because the rate changes everyday, it's not fixed. In August we were getting $3.21 for £1, right now we're getting $3.01-$3.02.

Airports are never good places to get foreign currency, they are indeed convenient depending on when you arrive, but they are definitely not the cheapest... not in the UK and not in Barbados either.

Regards

Edited: 1:14 pm, January 01, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

If you get such a bad rate then how come in 3 out of the 5 trips I made to Barbados last year the rate was better at the airport than at the bank in The Gap?

Of course the rates change every day, thats what exchange rates do. My point is that on balance the rate is not terrible as you say, and it is far more convenient to change money at the airport than go to a bank and stand in a queue. By the time your luggage is on the carousel you can have your money changed, saving valuable holiday time.

I am only stating what my own experience is - I think that is what the forum is for?

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

carole911

It is indeed what a forum is for. I'm simply stating what the facts are in Barbados. All banks have the same exchange rates. The bank in the Gap can't have a different rate to the one in Bridgetown or Oistins or the Airport. Here's a link which you'll find useful

centralbank.org.bb/WEBCBB.nsf/…

That is where the Central Bank publishes its rates which must be used by all banks on this island.

Nothing is wrong with stating what your own experience, but the facts are the facts. I'm not sure why you think the bank at the airport is cheaper, but I can assure you, it isn't. It is however convenient.

Did you check both the airport and the bank in the Gap on the same day? That's really the only way to know whether it was cheaper or not. If you went to the bank in the Gap on another day, all it means is that the rate changed... as it always does.

Regards

Edited: 1:42 pm, January 01, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pay to enter barbados?????????????????

Of course I didnt check the banks for the rate on the same day - that would be rather ridiculous?.

You are missing the point - all I am saying is that on balance the rate at the airport proved better than the bank in the gap on several trips. I didnt do a post mortem to see why that was, it simply was the case, and other travellers may wish to know this?

I posted this to help others, not to get a lecture on Barbados banking!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean