We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Mango Bay

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Mango Bay

We have just returned 13/02/06. This is a very honest review and appreciate everyone has there own opinions. We waited five hours for our room as they were still assembling the furniture but did get an upgrade to a deluxe (one of the new ones on the top floor) although very nice and had good views was still missing the finishing touches. Pillows are like rocks did ask to change them but there was no others available. The A La Carte was disappointing very repetitive especially lunch and very little choice for dinner in fact we ate out three times just for something different.

(not something you should have to do on all inclusive unless you choose to.) The buffet was worse even less choice and not very hot. The service in the restaurant at times could be very slow a lot of new staff that didn't seem to know what they were doing Would highly recommend the ribs at Angry Annies though and the Cliff is an excellent restaurant a bit pricey but worth it. The branded drinks were not always available seemed like they only got one bottle at a time and kept running out. Mosquitoes are a real problem but to be fair the management did get rentokil in to fog the complex but they did still keep biting. A tip for you all ask them to spray your room when you go to dinner as this will help. If you have booked standard rooms it can be very noisy at night especially the weekend from the bars in the street. There is a swamp very close to the hotel but to be honest we never really smelt it. There was music every evening that finished around 10.30 or 11.00. The beach is quite small and lots of stones on the waters edge with quite a steep slope into the sea. The renovations were almost complete when we left and this hotel does get a lot of repeat guests (We won't be)but does seem to attract an older clientele. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are taking children there is nothing at all for them to do. P.S. Take a brolly it rained every day but does dry up quick and is sunny again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxcat!

I have been reading the posts, and call us a couple of Crazy Canadians,

but we are still looking forward to our stay at Mango Bay.

It is still minus 23 here (warming up from -25, with the wind chill) minus 15 without it.

Thanks Manxcat for pointing out to those of us that have already booked,

that everything, although not up to spec yet, we can, and will, make this

a great vacation in the sun, sea and sand.

Besides the Caves, where else do you think one should explore in the Moke?

And any preferences of a rental firm?

Thanks again Manxcat.

Much appreciate all your postings.

Manxowner.

lu
Barbados
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

For exploring with your Moke - you have to head to Scotland District and the east coast. Stop in at Farley Hill National Park, you pay a nominal fee, under BD$5.00 but there is a ruin of what was a grand plantation house and the view from the top of the hill there is fantastic. Also, stop in at Round House in Bathsheba for a drink and enjoy view of the soup bowl.

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Thanks Lu!

Sounds great.

Manxowner.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Manxowner Also go and check out the amazing views from St Johns church near Bathsheba. Cranes beach and Port St Charles are also worth a visit. Try the helicopter trip cost about £80 but is great fun. They take 5 at a time and if your the first one there you get to sit next to the pilot. 4 x 4 jeep safari is another excellent day out. Have fun and enjoy your holiday.

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

All these fantastic tips!

It will save us quite a bit of wondering about,leaving more time to enjoy the sights and experiences.

As first time visitors to Barbados, we will

need a map. Can we purchase one at the

local grocer in Holetown, or should I contact

the Barbados consulate here?

Thank you so much again.

Manxowner.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Maps are available free in most of the larger shopping malls. However, they are really inaccurate, but that all adds to the fun!!

I have a spare one that I brought home last week - if you would like me to send it to you I'd be happy to do so.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Manxowner There is a map in the hotel room and if you are going on a package trip you normally get one in the welcome pack from the tour operator aswell. We didn't find it that difficult as it isn't a large island therefore quite easy to find your way around. It is also a benefit as like us they drive on the left. Hope you enjoy your stay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Manxowner I forgot to say we hired our moke through Virgin our tour operator and paid BDS200 for the day which included fuel insurance and local taxes. The chances are you may get it cheaper sorting it out yourselves.

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Emelda:

Thanks for the offer of mailing your map. Most thoughtful! But like you say,

without one could add to the fun!

And speaking of fun,

Manxcat:

We don’t very often drive on the left-hand side of the road!

But no worries, I’ll leave the driving to my husband. :> He adapts to it like it was nothing. Thank goodness!

And being a small island, you’re both right.

We’ll have fun with our adventure and get around just fine. I just wasn’t too sure if all the places you both have recommended were noted on the generic tourist maps.

I think I have asked all my questions,(finally!) unless you think of anything

else a first timer should put on their Barbados “do not miss” list.

In which case, please by all means, do let me know.

Thank you again for your replies.

They truly are most appreciated!

Manxowner

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish