We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Mango Bay

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Mango Bay

We have just returned 13/02/06. This is a very honest review and appreciate everyone has there own opinions. We waited five hours for our room as they were still assembling the furniture but did get an upgrade to a deluxe (one of the new ones on the top floor) although very nice and had good views was still missing the finishing touches. Pillows are like rocks did ask to change them but there was no others available. The A La Carte was disappointing very repetitive especially lunch and very little choice for dinner in fact we ate out three times just for something different.

(not something you should have to do on all inclusive unless you choose to.) The buffet was worse even less choice and not very hot. The service in the restaurant at times could be very slow a lot of new staff that didn't seem to know what they were doing Would highly recommend the ribs at Angry Annies though and the Cliff is an excellent restaurant a bit pricey but worth it. The branded drinks were not always available seemed like they only got one bottle at a time and kept running out. Mosquitoes are a real problem but to be fair the management did get rentokil in to fog the complex but they did still keep biting. A tip for you all ask them to spray your room when you go to dinner as this will help. If you have booked standard rooms it can be very noisy at night especially the weekend from the bars in the street. There is a swamp very close to the hotel but to be honest we never really smelt it. There was music every evening that finished around 10.30 or 11.00. The beach is quite small and lots of stones on the waters edge with quite a steep slope into the sea. The renovations were almost complete when we left and this hotel does get a lot of repeat guests (We won't be)but does seem to attract an older clientele. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are taking children there is nothing at all for them to do. P.S. Take a brolly it rained every day but does dry up quick and is sunny again.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxcat,

Sorry to hear that it wasn't 100% brilliant time. There seem to be a number of hotels coming out of renovations late and having teething troubles at the moment. I guess we have the cricket world cup next year to blame.

Did you get out and about much to see the island? Did you like Barbados as a destination outside of the hotel?

I'm off on Friday, so a bit worried about the weather. The idea of rain every day scares me at this time of year! Did it rain a lot during the day or was it just at night?

I've never taken a brolly before but I am contemplating it now!

Regards

Nicky

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

...manxcat, did you enjoy your cruise part of the hol's?...hope you enjoyed the b'day and anniversary...shame about Mango.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Laraevans We had a fantastic time on the cruise what an experience and would highly recommend it went to great places thankyou, despite the hotel we made the most of it in Barbados and got out and about and had a great time there too. Overall had a superb birthday and anniversary. Went to Oistins, hired a car done the Helicoptor and Submarine. Looking forward to September now off to Egypt.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Kirimist It rained mainly in the afternoon but not for long and dries very quickly so you don't need to worry much but i would advise taking a brolly in case you go out and about. We went in Jan last year and never saw any rain just think the seasons are changing everywhere.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

great, I'm really glad you enjoyed it and your occasionst....we did a cruise with NCL from New York to Bahamas...on "The Dawn", but the kid's were soundo by about nine each night, so we probably didn't get the maxium out of the cruise ie. show's etc.....

Thanks for letting everyone know how you got on....do stick around as you can alway's help with island info etc :)

Ede
West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Thanks for posting your report so quickly. Sorry that you didn't enjoy the hotel. We have not been moved by our Agent and have decided to stick with it. Pleased to see that the renovations are almost complete. Glad that you did enjoy your cruise and Barbados in general. Will also report on my return towards the end of March. Pat

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxcat

Sorry to hear about the Mango. I have stayed there twice in the recent past, before the renovations and loved it.

The staff were brilliant and the food was excellent then, which were the main two factors for me.

I suppose the staff moved on to other places.

I also think its a hotel that is well positioned in Holetown. Shops, banks, bars etc on your doorstep.

There was a good mixture of age groups when I was there but I do agree that it is not a place for kids or teenagers.

The situation on a Sunday night with the street party has always been a problem for the standard rooms. We made sure we went and joined in the party instead.

How was the beach? I had heard that it had been washed away a bit, which is a shame.

Lets hope the hotel picks up once the renovations are completely finished, as I would still love to go back there.

Lesley

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxcat,

Sorry to have read how you found Mango Bay.

The folks who wrote the previous 3 reviews I read all loved it and would go back. I was very hopeful that you were enjoying your experience as welland was looking forward to reading all about it.

We too are booked in to a deluxe room in March and are still planning on sticking with it.

Hmmm. Rocky beaches and brollies.

Mind you for us,a break from minus 25 Celsius

is going to be most welcomed.

Happy to read a lot of your vacation did turn out well.

“Cheers” and here’s to Egypt.

Manxowner

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxcat,

Apologies for how the end of my previous post turned out.

It should read:

Cheers and here’s to Egypt!

Best regards,

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Mango Bay

Hi Manxowner are you originally from the Isle of Man or is it just a name you made up?