We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario
8 posts
Save Topic
Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

My wife and I have never been to Barbados before. We're going down to the Almond Beach Club for the Thanksgiving weekend (three night stay) and I just wanted to see if someone could tell me exact dress code for the restaurant there. It always varies between resorts.

Thanks again,

David

Saggart, Co Dublin...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Dear David, just back from St James, we stayed just up the road from Almond Beach, at the Tamarind Cove Hotel. Dress code: no trainers, jeans or t-shirts. Smart casuals is what they're looking for. No need for tie and jacket, you wouldn't be able to survive the heat otherwise. Neat slacks, shirts, nice dresses. But saying that, my wife did wear denim pants, but they were smart, too. Dress up, not down. Enjoy your stay. Enjoy the " liquid sunshine too". Pauli, Dublin, Eire

London, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Sorry I had to reply as I thought Pauli's reply was a bit misleading!

We just got back from Almond Beach Club and the dress code was not that strict. In the daytime they state that you must cover up in the restaurant for lunch - however lots of women were walking around the buffet with all their bits hanging out of their bikinis (tends to put you off your food a bit but never mind).

In the evening they ask for no trainers, jeans or tank-tops for men and no shorts. So long trousers and t-shirts are fine. My husband wore collared t-shirts so he looked a bit smarter, but lots of the other guests wore uncollared t-shirts and lots wore shirts too. As I said, they're not that strict. For women, anything really goes (apart from shorts).

This seems to be the dress-code throughout Barbados. We went to The Cliff - one of the world's top restaurants on the west coast of Barbados - and even that was smart casual, no jacket required.

As long as you wear light cotton clothing you'll be fine!

Enjoy!!

Katie

London, Ontario
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Thanks for the information there on dress code. Seems fairly standard for the Caribbean. More casual even then most other places. My wife and I always go business casual for dinner so their won't be any problems there.

Katie. A few questions for you if you don't mind. Have read conflicting reviews on this resort. What's your opinion on it ?

And was there any damage on the west coast from IVAN. I understand the south took some of the affects of it but havn't heard much of the west.

Thanks again,

David

London, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Hi,

There was not much damage at all from the hurriane in Barbados on the the west coast. Almond Beach Club has quite a small beach and a rocky area where you can sunbathe, but just to the left of the resort (about thirty seconds walk away!) is Sandy Lane beach which is lovely. You can see on this beach that there has been some sand erosion from the stormy weather, but it is still really nice.

We had a really good time at Almond Beach - we were there for a week. It's classed as a 4*, but we would probably say it's a European standard 3* just because it seems a bit aged. Saying that though, the room that we had was great - spotlessly clean. The only minor gripe that we had with the room was that there was a fridge but they don't stock it with drinks - but there is a very cheap store across the road from the resort where you can buy cans of drinks if you really want to.

The standard of food there is generally very good. The main restaurant is the Sunset. You can get anything you want for breakfast; for lunch you can use the buffet or menu; and dinner is usually from a menu most nights. Enid's restaurant for dinner is good too, but make sure you book a day ahead. One night we went to the seafood restaurant at the neighbouring Almond Beach Village (you get a free bus there) - don't bother with this one, it was awful! Everyone else that we met agreed - the food was dreadful, and service worse. Apparently the italian restaurant there is very good but we never got a chance to go.

There is currently building work going on in one of the blocks near the beach which can get a bit annoying if you're sunbathing right near it. Another thing to warn you about is the group of beach vendors that is always on the beach calling out their trades. In Barbados all of the beaches are public, so the hotel can't stop them from annoying guests. There are sometimes security guards from the hotel telling them to leave people alone, but you will still get hassle especially if you are sunbathing right on the edge of the beach. Sadly, 'no' doesn't seem to stop them coming back to you again and again, which we did get annoyed about. But if you go onto Sandy Lane beach there are hardly any vendors there!

If you are into scuba diving, there is an excellent dive company just up the road called West Side Scuba - a canadian lady called Jan was our dive leader and she was very good. Book straight with them, not through the resort/rep.

The nightly entertainment at the resort was excellent fun, and it finishes at 11pm. From there you can go into the piano bar if you have the energy to stay up late.

The swimming pools at Almond Beach Club are nice too - there are a couple of inter-linking pools with little waterfalls, and a jacuzzi. It's quite nice to relax round there as well. They have a pool volleyball match at 4pm every day if you're feeling active.

We never really had a problem waiting to get served at the bars. Some of the staff at the resort are very friendly (especially the barman who looks like Tiger Woods!) and some are not - but that's just life.

I'm sure this was more information than you needed! But if you want any more info just ask. I have lots of photos that I can email to you if you want.

When are you thinking of going there?

Have a great time,

Katie

Barbados
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Hi Katie

Thank you very much all these information.

Maybe I will spend three nights in Almond Beach Club in November.

They offer great specials at the moment.

If I can get one of these specials I will choose it.

Thanks again

Monika

Essex, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Hi, I wondered how your Thanksgiving holiday was at the Almond Beach Club. We are off there next week for Christmas and have been most apprehensive due to the negative comments about the resort on the Trip Advisor site. I realise there are some positive ones too but I note that a very recent one (6th December) is particularly damming. I would welcome your feedback. Many thanks in advance.

Essex, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Almond Beach Club - Dress Code

Hi there, wondered how your Thanksgiving trip went at the Almond Beach Club. We are off there next week for Christmas and I have to say are a little apprehensive due the negative comments about the resort. I would be interested in your feedback. Thanks in advance, ANN