We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

building in Barbados

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
building in Barbados

Just reading the posts about building rumours and they reminded me of two of my favourite restaurants that no longer exist. Does anyone have fond memories of the Carambola and Fathoms. I was so disappointed when they vanished after having lovely nights out at both.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: building in Barbados

Yes I remember them both - I used to love Fathoms - that was demolished for Mahogany Run (about 6 villas) and Carambola has suffered the same fate unfortunately. Again one of my favsI guess that's the price of progress?????

Sarah

CHESHIRE
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: building in Barbados

The same fate as Coconut Creek a lovely hotel many years ago.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: building in Barbados

Indeed loved both especialy the little bar at the end of the car park at Carambola the 'copper 'something? Fathoms - that was the one with the tree, also had a nice bar area, so important to get in the mood. All condos now.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: building in Barbados

Carambola was the second really great place my then boyfriend now husband used to take me when I visited Barbados. Many anniversary dinners there before they closed. You can still find Robin Walcott at the Elbow Room at 2nd Street in Holetown, but it's just not the same.

We never went to Fathoms....

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: building in Barbados

Fathoms - aah!

Carambola - double aah!

Both fab!

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: building in Barbados

High everyone, looks like I have brought back some great memories. I used to love sitting at the table by the sea at Fathoms. Thought I was in paradise. I tried to book at the Carambola 2 years ago and even the receptionist at the hotel didn't know it had closed down. To get over my disappointment my husband took me to Southsea which was fabulous. I also love Champers. Haven't tried Tides yet although we once ate at the Shak Shak where Guy Beasley was the chef and he spoke to us afterwards. The meal was great and he was very friendly. The Tides is definitely on my list for my next visit. Please still let it be there. Happy memories everybody!!!!

US
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: building in Barbados

Happy memories from both places! Fathoms had a chocolate cake to die for, as well as tasty fish. We would walk down from Tamarind and arrive early to watch the sunset.

Carambola was always our "date" night. I remember an evening that it poured buckets, and, of course, we were foolish enough to have rented a moke that year. Someone on the staff gave us some towels to wipe the seats dry-so kind. Great setting, and good food for the price--much more reasonable than The Cliff.

8. Re: building in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:28 am, September 04, 2009