We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach / resort with 18 month old

London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Hi,

My husband and I are considering barbados for a (muc needed) holiday in feb with our then to be 18 month old.

We have never been to the Caribbean before so just wondering if anyone can recommend places to base ourselves that would be good with our toddler (safe beach, kids pool etc).

We're not interested in leaving him with a babysitter or kids club but would like to be in a safe, family friendly resort.

I heard that crane beach is great but I've looked up costs for a hotel for 2 weeks and the cheapest I found is £6k which is a little beyond our budget.

Also just wondering how expensive it is to eat out there so I can factor that into my budget!

Thanks

Annie

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
13 replies to this topic
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

To help us narrow it down a bit can you say if you prefer west or south coast and if you want all inclusive, self catering etc? I think with a young child having access to a fridge, microwave etc can be very useful and there are hotels which offer that and also self catering condo type accommodation might be a possibility you'd consider.

Eating out? Well there's plenty of choice. Price wise - think London! By that I mean that there are placed where you can eat cheaply, very expensive restaurants and everything in between. Barbados has eating options to suit all budgets. If you totally self cater then work on what you'd spend at home plus a bit more - most things are imported so the prices in supermarkets are a bit higher.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Thanks! That's really useful. We're from London so know the London-prices concept well!

I have no idea of the difference between east and west coasts-which has the calmer seas / nicer and safer beaches? If one side has more jellyfish / seaweed then we'll go with the other!!

Don't think we want an AI package as we would prefer to try different places-2 weeks in the same place could be a bit much!

Self-catering is an option and it's what we usually do but I'm just concerned about crime and safety. If there's even the smallest danger then I'd rather be locked up inside a big resort. If crime isn't an issue then self catering options would be good.

As a starting point I guess it would be good to know which bit of the island I should be looking at.

Thanks

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

The popular parts of the Island is the West & South coast, the West usually has calmer waters but can be dearer to stay at, the South has some cheaper options, the sea tends to have more surf but also in parts has calm waters too.

The Island is one of the most or the safest of all Caribbean Islands, just use normal precautions as you would any where else like don't walk around flashing money and leaving your bags unattended.

Edited: 7:59 am, July 12, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,312 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Annie456

Barbados is a very safe island for tourists with crime rates being among the lowest in the Caribbean region, however you still need to exercise the same caution as you would at home by not leaving valuables on display and not walking around unlit roads at night.

On the South Coast, have a look at either:

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

Southern Palms Beach Club & Resort Hotel

Bougainvillea Beach Resort

Ocean Two Resort & Residences

Turtle Beach Resort (AI)

Coral Mist Beach Hotel

On the West Coast, have a look at either:

The Tamarind

The Sandpiper

Colony Club

Mango Bay Resort (AI)

The Fairmont Royal Pavillion

Hope this helps

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
1,691 Reviews
Barbados
Bougainvillea Barbados
Bougainvillea Barbados
2,085 Reviews
Barbados
The Sandpiper
The Sandpiper
318 Reviews
Barbados
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Colony Club by Elegant...
736 Reviews
Barbados
Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Do you have a budget as the hotels mentioned above has a wide variety of cost.

I also think that having a kitchen really helps with a child so somewhere offering a 1 bed apartment would be a good option for you.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

I would add Coral Sands Beach Resort to that list on the basis that it has the self catering facilities which would be useful, is on a nice beach with a calm sea (protected by a reef) and within easy reach of bars, supermarket, bus route, ATM etc. It is on the south coast in Worthing.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Sands Beach Resort
Coral Sands Beach Resort
297 Reviews
Barbados
Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

I second Almatt's suggestion as the beach at Coral Sands is lovely for a child, especially at the far end (east)where the sand bar makes for ankle deep water at low tide so a child can sit and play in the water.http://www.coralsandsresort.com/

Another possibility is Coral Mist http://www.coralmistbarbados.com/

or its sister hotel Blue Orchids http://blueorchidsbarbados.com/

The latter hotels are west of Coral Sands about a km away so they are still walking distance to grocery stores and a variety of restaurants.Have a look and then come back to us with all your questions. These 3 hotels are on the south coast.

We travelled to Barbados with our grandchildren and their parents last year (2 yr old and 6 month old) and stayed at Blue Orchids in self catering and had a truly memorable vacation.

Edited: 9:50 am, July 12, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Coral Sands Beach Resort
Coral Sands Beach Resort
297 Reviews
Barbados
Coral Mist Beach Hotel
Coral Mist Beach Hotel
549 Reviews
Barbados
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Lots of great suggestions-THANK YOU! I'll have a look into these later when my little one is in bed. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,312 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

Annie456

You're welcome and happy planning.

Regards

Cheshire
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach / resort with 18 month old

I would definately suggest the west coast as this is where the sea is calmest. The south is quite breezy so the sea is rougher. Tamarind Cove is very nice; popular with families and close to lots of great restaurants. It is on Paynes Bay which is arguably one of the best beaches on the island. Good luck with your search and wherever you decide just make sure you get out and about and enjoy the island!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Tamarind by Elegant...
1,228 Reviews
Barbados
Reply to: Best beach / resort with 18 month old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Union Hall