We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Drammen, Norway
Level Contributor
15 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Columbian Emerald, no good deal

My wife purchased a ring at Columbian Emerald at the cruise ship terminal. We were told the sold the ring at half price $ 1899 instead of approx. $ 3700, which the price tag said.

Back home we went to a jeweler store to have the price confirmed by an expert, and anticipated it would then be worth something like $ 3000; big mistake, it had a value of only $ 2150.

We have had no such experience in St Thomas or Barbados before, when shopping from others; we have purchased items which had a value of at least 50% over the price we paid there.

I guess the world wide guarantee is worth nothing as long as the price paid is a little less than the price back home.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Why don't you contact the company and ask/tell them you would like to return the item for a full refund

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Did your wife really love the ring ? If so, you still saved over $200 even if you could have bought a similar ring at home and she got the ring she wanted . Or did you buy the ring to re sell at a profit ? Surely you realised that all this half price business is a sales ploy ? You don't get something for nothing in this life. I'm afraid.

I do prefer to buy at Diamonds International as I believe the quality of their jewellery is much better , but I have bought from Colombian Emeralds in the past, and always haggled the price which has been an accepted approach by them.

Please be happy that your wife has a ring she presumably likes and you have saved a bit of money.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

As Westie says, still worth more than you paid for it! In any event was the valuer giving you a price that they would pay for it? If so they would add a margin to sell on. There is always a discrepancy between trade and retail price.

Drammen, Norway
Level Contributor
15 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Jewellery items are much cheaper in the Caribbean than over here in Europe, and I guess that is why there are so many present in each harbor, and if the prices were comparable to what you can by them at, at home, I guess no-one would use any time at these shops. Our experience is that we have always made a good deal at other shops like Little Switzerland etc, and we do not re-sell, - my wife buys these things because she likes them.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Well there you are then. You saved some money, if only a bit and your wife has the ring she wanted, which surely, is the main thing .

Calgary
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

My wife purchased an "emerald' from Columbian Emeralds a few years ago in Barbados. She got it appraised in Calgary after she got home. It turned out to be an ok deal BUT it was a type of garnet, not an emerald. After contacting Colombian Emeralds they requested a copy of the appraisal and then never heard from them again.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Hux 08 A Demantoid ( green ) Garnet is an extremely rare stone and probably more valuable than average or treated Emeralds which are often sold in this shop, so you may well have lucked out. However I would have had a second opinion . I have an extremely" bright" emerald bracelet which several dealer friends thought was Demantoid Garnet, because of it's brightness but after appraisal by a highly qualified Gemologist it was proved to consist of good Emeralds after all.

Whenever anyone wants to buy Emerald jewellery from any shop anywhere, the description should include the words " Natural Emerald" --------------if it doesn't, it probably isn't !

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Colombian Emeralds is part of a large international group in which Cave Shepherd has a significant investment. Would be surprised if they were up to no good.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

ps A treated Emerald is still a lovely stone to see, and considering a good natural Emerald is one of the most expensive Gem Stones in the World, ones that have had a little "help " to make them look good make Emeralds more affordable and there is nothing wrong with that-----------------provided the buyer is made aware.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbian Emerald, no good deal

Oh, and by the way, I should have mentioned that a Demantoid Garnet is a Russian gem stone, which makes this appraisal seem even more odd.