We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Hi, Our cruise is docking in Bridgetown. We are thinking of going to Crane Beach. We are a party of 4 adults with 1 toddler. I heard there is a good bus system. Should we take the bus or taxi? Does anyone know how much Taxi might cost for our group? Our alternative would be to go to Carlisle Bay, which is closer and easier to get to. Is the water calmer at Carlisle for toddlers? Thank you in advance.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Worthing Beach or Oistins Beaches are far, far, safer for toddlers - and the same buses call there (more frequently too). These beaches have safe shallow areas for kids - with the added interests of little fishes swimming about (latter) and crabs scuttling around the rocks (former). These beaches are where the locals go. Both places have refreshment kiosks nearby. Both have ancient trees to sit under out of the sun.

Crane Beach is a mess of closely situated sun loungers and shades defended by aggressive Crane Hotel staff and is NOT welcoming to the pubic. And it is miles from the nearest bus stop through the Hotel grounds - not good for a toddler in the heat of the day. There are no refreshments available on Crane Beach. There are also too many beach vendors at Crane bothering the tourists. AND it will cost you $25 p.p. to go down the Hotel's steps to the PUBLIC beach. On the beach there is no real shade out of the sun - you are banned from using the Hotel's sun loungers - however you can sit amongst the detritus at the rear of the beach under the coconut palms and if you wish to risk it likely getting injured or killed by a falling coconut pod.

Edited: 12:05 pm, March 19, 2014
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Well Chris I have read some rubbish about Crane Beach over the years but yours beats them all!

As with all beaches in Barbados Crane Beach is open to the public. Whilst the Crane Resort does have beds on the beach for the exclusive use of its guests (as do many hotels on many beaches in Barbados) there at 2 other locals who rent beds/umbrellas. I am not aware of anyone being killed by a coconut yet!

The Crane Resort has a bar/restaurant just behind the beach (among the coconuts) which the public can use and there are other vendors who sell drinks.

Access is via steps or elevator via the Resort and yes I understand you are charged to park with vouchers given which can be used in the restaurants at the complex. You can also access the beach from the other end although it is a bit a of a scramble over the rocks/stepping stones.

If anything there are less vendors on Crane Beach than on any of the many other beaches I have enjoyed in Barbados.

Anyway more important, back to the poster. The Crane is right on the Atlantic and as such the sea is quite rough. I have never felt it unsafe but with a toddler I think you may be more comfortable on another beach. It is also not so easy to access with a little one. In the circumstances Carlisle as you suggest or perhaps Rockley which is also close by and as plenty of facilities may be a better option. It would also be a lot cheaper by taxi than Crane. Enjoy.

New York
Level Contributor
551 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

lulupitt - While you may have already gone on your cruise, I thought you should know that I have seen many toddlers playing on Crane Beach and having fun. Yes the waves are big, but you wouldn't leave your toddler unsupervised on any beach, so the size of the waves isn't really an issue. The five of you take a taxi, pay the $25 to eat lunch on the beach and enjoy one of the "ten most beautiful beaches in the world". Read the reviews on TA and please note that two of the bad reviews are from Chris2006.

Chris2006 - You have certainly painted an inaccurate picture of Crane Beach for lulupitt. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Barbados, if not the world. Yes, many people want to sit on the beach because it is so beautiful and there can be a lot of lounge chairs - a mess, hardly. By bus, you just have to walk in through the entry road. A pretty walk through a shaded and well landscaped entry and not very far at all. The Crane's Grove Bar and Grill was not there eight years ago when you visited. Last month we had lunch on the beach from the grill.and the food was very good. When we were there, there was just one man selling drinks in a coconut who came by and said he had to ask quietly because the Crane discourages beach vendors. You can pay $25 to enter and it is applied to food and beverages purchased at The Crane and doing so entitles one to the use of The Crane's lounge chairs and umbrellas, which are set up for you by Crane staff. I have never seen any waste or debris of any kind at the beach and the coconut comment doesn't even deserve a response. Apparently on your (one) trip to Crane Beach in 2006, you had a bad experience. Maybe you owe it to those reading your new post dated March 17, 2014 as well as your response here, to visit again and see Crane Beach today. You may find that It has changed since you were there eight years ago. Also, I believe it is TA policy that you can only write a second review if you have visited the location again.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Yes - we did visit again. And I stand by what I said. Crane Beach is NOT the most family oriented of beaches in Barbados and the OP did ask about suitability for a toddler. I wouldn't let any toddler of mine go near the place. And can you imagine a family going from the beach all covered in sand and sea water into their swanky over-priced restaurant to recover the $25 charged to access the PUBLIC beach. When we were there $25 did not buy much from the menu either.

Edited: 6:47 pm, March 19, 2014
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

Chris. In addition to your comments above I have read the new review you have submitted. It is not hard to see that this review and the one submitted in 2006 is by the same person given that you have pretty much used the same words. I have to say that your review is 'detritus' and you clearly did not visit the beach again. Had you done so and entered via the resort you would have mentioned the elevator, beach restaurant, other beds/umbrellas available etc.

To be honest I am not sure that the Crane does actually still charge to enter and park but if they do I am sure you could have spent the vouchers in the beach bar or one of the other restaurants on site rather than the 'swanky' restaurant which appear to find so offensive.

Edited: 7:16 pm, March 19, 2014
6. Re: Bus / taxi from Bridgetown to Crane Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, March 21, 2015