We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

Hello!

We are returning to Barbados for the second time after we fell in love with the island and the people last year and are really excited to get back there!!

This year we want to spend some time just walking around Bridgetown...shopping, eating and exploring in general for a few hours in the afternoon.

My Question: Is there is a "route" that makes the most sense regarding sighteeing, traffic patterns/restrictions...basically the best way to walk around the city...if there is one?

It looks like starting at the begining of the boardwalk at Wharf Road, left on Broad and continue to Lower Broad may be a good start but I thought I would ask the experts.

Once again, any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Oh and if this is a stupid question...my wife made me type it.

Thanks

Sobo_Traveler

London
Level Contributor
501 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

If you go to the Waterfront Cafe website ( www.waterfrontcafe.com.bb/ - seems to be down at the moment but was working yesterday) you'll find a link to their own walking tour of Bridgetown, which gives a fairtly detailed route and a certain amount of history and context. The experts here will know how good/bad it is, but it might at least give you something to start with.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

sobo_traveler

I can't see the map mentioned above as the website is down. However, the boardwalk is a good place to start. From there I'd walk straight up the boardwalk, past the Treasury Building, visit the Cathedral of St. Michael and All Angels, then Queens Park further up. After, I'd walk around to Roebuck Street, have a look at the imposing Tom Adams Financial Centre and then return down to Broad Street starting at the Upper Section by the two story Chefette and concluding at the Lower Section by the Taxi Stand. From there you can walk left over to Swan Street . This route is basically a zig-zag through the city. The bulk of the shopping is to be done on Broad and Roebuck Streets.

For lunch I'd recommend either the Waterfront Cafe or the Cave Shepherd Ideal Restaurant on the 3rd floor of Cave Shepherd for a good local lunch. You can spend the rest of the afternoon sitting in Independence Square.

I'd recommend you start around 12:30pm and this should take you along to 16:30 or so.

Hope this helps

Regards

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

Thank you ver much for replying...much appreciated!

Sobo

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

BGI World,

That helps very much....I really appreciated it.

Thank you

Sobo

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

sobo_traveler

You're welcome.

Regards

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

I don't know if your plans include the Garrison area? Definitely worth a look. It's a Heritage site and aside from the racecourse, there is the Museum of Barbados and George Washington House too. Both very interesting and they make a good rainy day choice too. Maybe a bit much to cram in on the same day as walking round Bridgetown though.

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

Almatt,

Thank you...great suggestions that I has not thought of.

Much appreciated.

Sobo

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

If you're interested in the history of Barbados, you can visit the National Heros Gallery and the Barbados Museum of Parliament housed in the West Wing of the Parliament Buildings. There is also the Nidhe Israel Synagogue & Museum, founded in 1654 in Bridgetown. If you pick up the booklet "Barbados in a Nutshell" with their map, these sites are shown there.

If you do walk up to Queen's Park, on the grounds is probably the largest tree in Barbados, a Baobab Tree - 61.5 ft. circumference and probably around 1,000 years old.

This site has a Part 1 & 2 walking tour, unfortunately no map.

guidetocaribbeanvacations.com/barbados/Bridg…

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

Chrisky,

Very cool...thank you!

Sobo

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking route around Bridgetown...all suggestions welcome

I think Itunes has a city walking tour app that includes Bridgetown if you have an phone/pad.

Get answers to your questions about Bridgetown
Recent Conversations