We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tanzanite jewellery

London, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying tanzanite jewellery

We have been to Barbados many times but, believe it or not, I have never actually taken advantage of buying any of the duty free jewellery ... until now! I'd quite like to treat myself to a tanzanite/diamond necklace when we visit again early next year. I wondered whether anyone can give me some useful tips in terms of where to buy the best quality jewellery at the cheapest price? Many thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International... depends on where you are staying as to the store, but that's about it. There is Jewelers Warehouse, which I think is like the baby sister to one of these, smaller shop, likely has the "discounted sale" items from which ever store it is.

forgot about .. Correia's Jewellery Store Ltd. not sure if they have tanzanite.. but they are a very very good locally owned company.. you could try them as well.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

Just make sure you take your passport and boarding pass with you when you go otherwise you won't get the duty free price. There is still bartering to be done on these prices in the present economic climate - good luck!!

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

Shops downtown in Broad Street area (the ones mentioned by other posters).

Quite a few diamonds, not so much tanzanite.

I have never seen any bartering - I can't imagine what a store like Columbian Emeralds would be interested in other than your money. But perhaps some small independent store may be into some bartering.

Often however you can negotiate a discount.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

There are times when one can negotiate a discount at Columbian Emeralds. Also if you go to the back of their store, there are usually quite a few pieces that have been reduced.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

I think Sue meant "haggling" rather than bartering in the true sense of the word. I've successfully haggled/negotiated the price at both stores (Colombian and DI). Always ask politely for a better price. The worst they can do is say no. They will negotiate, just not on every item every time.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

Over the years we have bought watches/diamond earrings/emerald earrings, and have always got cheaper than first quoted - these were all purchased in the big well known shops.

I think when I purchased my diamond earrings one of the diamonds had been "treated" / lasered, which made it brighter, which we found out when we had them valued back in the UK for insurance purposes, they still worked out slightly more than we actually paid in Barbados, so was happy in the end.

London, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

Thanks everyone - sounds like there are some opportunities to bag a bargain after all!

8. Re: Buying tanzanite jewellery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Bridgetown