We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or the Crane Resort

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton or the Crane Resort

I am seriously considering a trip to Barbados in November 2009. I ma looking at the Barbados Hilton, or The Crane Resort.I have been to Barbados one time many years ago on a cruise stop so I ma not very familiar with the island. I really like the look of the Crane resort but do not want to be in the middle of no-where with a long drive to go to restaurants and other activities. I'm not sure how big thew island really is in terms of going places. One more question, how is the traffic on Barbados? Last year when we were in St. Maarten ( neveragain!) the traffic was a complete nightmare. We always rent a car for the week to get around. Any thoughts, or ideas are most appreciated.

Thank you,

Beth

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

I think the Hilton would be in a better position for you as it is much nearer restaurants and shops and is on a nice beach too. Not a spectacular beach like the Crane but more suitable for swimming. You would be close to Bridgetown and also the Gap with restaurants close by that you could easily drive to or get transport. The traffic can get a bit busy in Barbados but I wouldn't say a nightmare. It is busy on a Friday night with lots of people going to Oistins for the fish fry but apart from that we never found a problem. The Hilton looked very nice when we looked around and I think you would enjoy it there.With a car you could easily get round the island and it would be nice to visit the east and west coast to see different aspects of the island.Plus of course there is a lot to see in the south.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

Thank you for the input. We love to go and see things when we travel, so a car for us is a must.

Any other suggestions for good places to stay are welcomed. I am very picky and a clean hotel is very important to me.

Barbados would be a brand new adventure for us.

Thank you,

Beth

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

There are a lof ot really nice places out there. My girlfriend, her son and I will be staying at the Beach View Resort from June 23rd to July 2nd. It is a newer property that's been open less than a year. In my dealings with them so far they have exceeded my expectations in customer service. You can view their resort at www.beachviewbarbados.com/ They are an owned condo community that are rented out as hotels for 9 months out of the year. They only have two and three bedroom units but can turn a two bedroom into a one bedroom just by locking off the unused room. They are on the West Coast which is the best for swimming and snorkeling. The South and East coast is a little more rough making swimming hard if not impossible at times.

Last year my girlfriend and I stayed at the Divi Southwinds Resort and had a great time. It is located on the South Coast and close to the St, Lawrence Gap which has a lot of various restaurants and shops. You can view their resort at www.diviresorts.com/divisouthwinds/ Be sure to check out the resort reviews where ever you stay. Just enter the name of the resort in the search bar above and you can see their ratings and personal reviews.

For the price you were looking at on the Crane and Hilton, you could possibly book a villa on or close to the beach if you wanted more privacy. You can get alof of very good information on the main Barbados web site at www.barbados.org/ Places to stay, activities and dining.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

Driving is no big deal in Barbados. The island is only approx 12 miles by 20 miles so nothing is very far away. I like the Crane but it is isolated if you want to go somewhere for dinner at night. By November there should be three restuarants on site, Fish/Bajan, Japanese/Thai and Italian. They arrange free transport to Oistens Fish Fry on a Friday so that covers at least 4 nights. Every room has excellent cooking facilities for the others or you could do room service or a takeaway from the Japanese/Thai.

Wouldn't just dismiss it.

boston
Level Contributor
536 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

The Hilton is very nice-we have made reservations for December to stay there for the 3rd year in a row for at least part of our trip. The Crane resort is isolated, and, frankly, the beach is gorgeous but too rough for swimming, IMHO. I do body surf at the Hilton, but I would not even consider going in the surf st the Crane. We had lunch there (unremarkable, btw) and checked out the beach from the restaurant. There were very few people in the water, about 6 and all of them were men, probably very good swimmers. It would kill me to sit on a beach and not be able to go in the water.

Waddington, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

We returned from our first trip to Barbados a couple of weeks ago. We originally booked the Crane and then I had a last minute panic attack and almost convinced myself to stay at the Hilton instead. We ultimately stayed with the Crane and I'm so glad we did. While they could improve in some areas, and the completion of the Crane village will be a wonderful addition to the property, the rooms are amazing and the beach is incredible. We did rent a car during our stay so we did not feel trapped or isolated at the Crane. We drove to Oisten's for dinner one night and the Gap for dinner three nights (which is about 25 minutes from the Crane). We also drove to Bathsheba and the west coast for a dinner at the Tides. We very much enjoyed Cutter's deli for lunch just about every day, which is a short walk from the Crane. We didn't eat at either Zen or L'Azure but others in our group did and enjoyed their meals.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

we stayed at the crane for 2 weeks a few years ago (before latest construction was completed) we stayed in the "older" hotel one week and the newer section another week - both were very nice, different feels to each, but we loved them both. it is farther away to dining and nightlife - we used mixed between renting car for a few days and using public transport, so it wasnt too bad at all.

cant speak on cleanliness of hilton rooms, but the crane rooms were awesome with modern amenities, but in terms of walking out of the hotel and being close to dining and bars, you might be better off at the hilton based on reviews posted previously.

I do have pics from our rooms in Crane if that would help, PM me and I can send to you

VIRGINIA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

I agree with your choice of hotels, the Crane and the Hilton would be my top two choices.

The Crane is amazing and the beach is beautiful and while neither hotel is on the west 'calm, carribean side) of the island, you can have fun in the water at the Crane. Many people body surf, using the boards the Crane provides, and others like me just play in the water. Also, Miami beach isn't that far away, and it has a part with surf and a much calmer side which I enjoy for a change from the Crane.

The concierge at the Crane can give you a list of driving directions telling how to get from the Crane to various resturants and attractions.

midwest
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

I would vote for the Hilton. My husband and I just spent a week there and had a fabulous time. The hotel is only 4 years old and the staff really does go out of their way to be helpful. The rooms are spotless and the beach, pool and grounds are great. We also visited the Crane for the Sunday Bruch. The beach is beautiful but the older section of the hotel seemed very tired. We met a couple there who were very upset that their air conditioning did not work and the Crane was not doing much to rectify it. We were there the end of May so it wasn't busy season but I will say the Crane was very deserted.

If you have a car, you can get to variious restaurants from either location. The Crane would be a bit further off the beaten path. We did not choose to take taxis to dinner which can get expensive but then you don't need to worry about finding your way back after a couple of drinks.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton or the Crane Resort

I'd like to thank everyone for all of teh nice feedback :)