We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Join a tour group or go it alone ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Join a tour group or go it alone ?

hi,

been looking for barbados island tour for the day/ half day . Haven't really been impressed by what ive seen on offer ( standard stuff ) plus by the time ive paid out $200 for myself partner and son would it not be better to get a driver ?? would it a) be a cheaper option b) skip the bits we want c) more personal ?

or just go it alone with a moke ??!! please advise anyone reccommend any god drivers / tour guides.

thanx

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

I would say hire the car and drive yourself, with the island being so small, even if you get lost you soon get your bearings again.

It is much more fun I always think that way, you can then pick an itinerary to suit yourself.

I'd recommend a day out around the East Coast, St.Nicholas Abbey is great to see, then the view from Cherry Tree Hill as you drive to Bathsheba is amazing. You could then drive through Barkley Park to Bathsheba and get lunch there. The Roundhouse is nice. Emma

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

I agree with the above hiring a car and getting lost is part of the fun of exploring the Island. If you do want to do a tour the Island safaris are good fun and take you off the beaten track. It also helps to orientate yourselves if you do it on the first few days of your holiday and then if you want to hire a car for the rest of the time you have more of an idea where you are.

I peronsally wouldn't get a moke, they seem like fun but you have nowhere to lock anything away and sometimes impromtu local guides take the opportunity to jump in and offer to show you around (for a price).

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

:-) I once had a Policeman jump in our hire car in Bridgetown and give us a quick tour round and then sent us on our way with clear directions - for free of course! :-)

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

londonbabe73,

Totally agree with renting a small car/or moke if the weather permits and finding your own way around.

There will be wrong turns here and there, but that's half the fun. You'll never be lost as there's always someone to help with directions. While there's an abundance of rentals out there, I use Drive a Matic and have always been satisfied with their service and cars. You could call Valencia at (246) 422 4000 and I'm sure she'd set you up with something. Once around the island, I'm positive you'll want to venture round again. Lot's to see and do. Have a great trip.

Paragon 140

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

The other thing about mokes is there's no protection from the sun and you can get fried very quickly. For the hire of a car for 3 days you can go to the attractions you want to see rather than just whats on the route of the tour.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. We are considering a trip to Barbados, which would only be the second place in the Caribbean we have ever been...so I've been loitering on this forum. Never would have guessed this would be my first question...

What is a moke?

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

kansaspvgal,hi, click this link and the vehicle you see is what tyey call a moke...http://cruises.about.com/od/cruisephotoalbum/l/blbarbados03.htm - have a nice day and come on down to Barbados i guarantee you'll love it.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

Got it! Thanks so much outswinger.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

I like the idea of renting a car and going it alone, but wouldn't you want to know some history and the ins and outs from a tour? I got tours from friends and family,Barbados is small but one might get lost( not that anyone wouldn't give you directions)

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Join a tour group or go it alone ?

Not sure when you're going, but if it is before mid-december why not get a Barbados VIP card and that will give you BOGOF on Island Safari jeep tours - that would keep the cost down. The guides are really entertaining and they'd look after your son.