We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing meat into Barbados

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Bringing meat into Barbados

Does anyone know if you can bring meat into Barbados? We are renting a Villa for a couple weeks and thought if we could bring a cooler of meat for BBQ's that would be great.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

"And not everyone is from Texas."

Meaning what, exactly? No comprendo.

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

bpfife,

Call George. I'm sure he understands what I meant.

P Kavanagh was asking "if" and I was "steering" him or her to the vasts amount of fresh fish that are available on the island. Whether he/she brings a cooler full of meat, or declines, that's his/her decision. Some people probably don't care for a lot of things. The state of Texas has nothing to do with it. Comprendo?

Either way, I hope P Kavanagh has a great time.

Paragon 140

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

"The state of Texas has nothing to do with it. Comprendo?"

Exactly. You're the one who brought it up, for some reason. And that would be "comprende", BTW.

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

On one occasion when I brought meat into Barbados and my cooler was opened, I then had to buy a meat imporation licence (on the spot right in customs).

Yes lots of fresh fish. Especially if you have friends on the island or make some friends while you are there, they will appeciate some good beef.

Not to say you can't get some good beef on the island but as others have alluded to, it is $$$

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

I would really like to interject here and ask a couple of pertinent (I hope) questions!

How much meat are you planning to bring in?

Surely the few $$$'s per head won't break the bank???....It is bound to be more expensive here as most stuff is imported but it's not MASSIVELY different I'm sure.

As a couple of others have pointed out there is always fish, plus chicken local pork, local lamb etc... there's lots of choice here - the Supermarket is not a desert...

Just wanted to mention that.

Sarah

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

Sometimes Sarah,I do wonder if people actually look round Supermarkets or go to Pricemart!! Even with the drop in the GB Pound it's cheaper to get top quality steak in Barbados than in the UK, but then again Beef IS a lot cheaper in the US than in the UK, so I suppose it's where you come from. However, by the time you'v PAID to bring meat into Barbados--------Is it REALLy worth all the hassle ???

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

For all the money which might or might not be saved is this really worth the hassle? How much do you expect to save by taking a few chops with you? This is like the weekly question. What currency should I take with me? Oh you might save a some cents if you take GB£ or US$ instead of Bardados$ and stand in a queue for half the day.

I am not a wealthy person but I do feel that when I vist Barbados and make use of the facilities the least I can do is put some money back into the community.

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

P Kavanagh....

Much better selection of meat in North America than in Barbados so if there are some favorite cuts you want to bring in then I say go for it with your cooler.

It isn't always a matter of price although your Canadian $ is not doing quite as well against the US $ (and therefore the Barbados $) as it was a few months ago.

Hell if someone wants to use their baggage allowance (which they have usually paid a lot for in their ticket) to bring in whatever "comfort" foods they want -- awesome. I am sure most people that being their native indulgences with them will still sample and experience many things in Barbados.

Especially for self-catering, I always tell people if they are obsessive about a particular brand of coffee or peanut butter or whatever, why not bring it with them.

Fairmount City...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

For anyone else interested in bringing meat into Barbados

on their holidyas you can get all the regulations from the Barbados govt website as stated by JoBarnes or google"regulations for bringing meat in Barbados" and the site will pop up. you can download the meat license permit in case you want to really bring in the beef/pork/veal.

20. Re: Bringing meat into Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 11, 2009