We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive vs Non

H.B., California
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
All Inclusive vs Non

Hi there,

Thanks to all who post a report after their trip. It truly helps deciding where to stay. I am still up in the air about A.I. vs not. It it truly that expensive in Barbados? From what I gather our dollar is worth two to theirs (so half off)? Any thoughts 2 kids 2 adults.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

It can be expensive to eat out in Barbados but there are cheaper places. For example, we have had 3 course meals for 2 with a bottle of wine at Champers, Tides and Southsea to name a few upmarket restaurants, costing between 170 us dollars to 220 us dollars. We have eaten at cheaper places, eg, Cafe Sol, McBrides for around 20 us dollars per main course. At Just Grillin you could get a main course for around 15 us.d. There are cheaper fast food places and bars such as Chefette, Mikes Bar which would be a bit cheaper. Obviously the cost is more considerable when there are 4 of you. It really depends on how much per person more it would cost you for all inclusive as opposed to room only or self catering. You can also get take away meals at the supermarkets cheaper or ready made bread rolls etc. We love Barbados for eating out BUT we don't have children to pay for anymore which does make a difference. Good luck with your decision.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

The question of All inclusive vs self catering Barbados has been the topic of many posts. Just put all inclusive vs self catering in the search box and you will find many answers to your questions.

I went and did a search and found many comments.

Best of Luck

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

We like the AI package we still dine out and enjoy eating out at different places. My sister has 2 kiddies and finds the AI better as they tend to drink minerals throughout the day and dont like trawling around eateries in the evening. Each to their own but there is a lot to be said for both options, personally if I had kiddies I would opt for the AI purely for convenience.

For a nice AI with kiddies I would recommend Turtle Beach.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

I guess it all depends on how tied you want to be to the hotel, and how good the food is at the hotel. Personally if I had paid the money for the all inclusive I would not then go out and spend more money eating out. I have always felt that the price charged for AI far outweighs how much I would ever spend on food. If you can get accommodations that have a tiny kitchen or even just a small fridge, then you could always have the snacks or drinks the kids want right there in the room. It boils down to a matter of choice.

Rutland
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

We have visited four different islands in the Caribbean over the last 6 years, Barbados will be our fifth this October. Each time we have avoided the AI option, twice staying in AI hotels but on a room only basis.

On each ocassion we have hired a jeep for the duration of the holiday, eaten at a different restaurant each evening, or in our room when we had kitchen facilities. This way we got to see the whole island, meet the locals and really get a feel for where we were staying. We have always managed to hire the jeep and eat for the same amount as the difference going AI would have cost.

When we have eaten in the AI hotels we have found the food nowhere near as good as the restaurants we have visited and the cocktails bear no resemblance to those we buy outside of the hotels.

So I would suggest, pick a hotel with catering facilites, eat out when you can and stock up at the local supermarket.

Enjoy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

Hi:

We opted for AI simply for convenience. We are going to be in Barbados in July and after exhaustively researching and reading TA, we decided on Mangoe Bay as we read great things about it. We will probably eat out a few nights, but will be glad to have the option of just staying around the hotel. I don't like going too far in the morning for my breakfast! I don't know when you are considering going, but check out Mangoe Bay. I felt their prices were very reasonable for the summer (we are going early July). Good luck!

H.B., California
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

We will be there the first two weeks in July as well. We are currently scheduled to stay at Hilton. I am going to check your resort. Thanks for info.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

Hi!

There is a great MB post today, that may help.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

Having traveled with my child and by myself in the Caribbean I have preferred staying at a place that has kitchen facilities and a restaurant such as Yellow Bird or their sister hotel. When I have looked at AI and the cost there was no way my daughter and I would eat and drink the amount we would pay at AI. With self catering I like having some breakfast items in the room so we don't have to rush and get dressed for breakfast as well as the ease of accessing snacks at odd times. My daughter's stomach tends to stay on Pacific time no matter where we are. I like have a restaurant on site for those times you don't want to cook and can eat downstairs. I have found reasonable and good food in Barbados and other islands but my daughter and I are fairly easy to please she eats most things. I don't know the ages of your children but my daughter(ten years old) and I often share entrees as frequently its more than either of us can eat alone and we save money.

10. Re: All Inclusive vs Non

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bridgetown