We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship visit

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
38 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship visit

We will be visiting Bridgetown in January 2008 for the day from a Cruise Ship (QM2). Having had some poor experiences from trips and excursions in other places, is there enough to entertain a couple of oldies within walking distance from where the ships dock please?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship visit

I'm afraid there's not an awful lot within walking distance of the cruise terminal except the Pelican Craft Centre, which is just outside. Otherwise you're looking at a 15/20 min stroll/walk into Bridgetown.

How long do you have in port? You could consider getting a taxi from the port, but beware, they assume that all cruise passengers are rich and charge accordingly......

There is a good bus service from Bridgetown that you could use to get around the island depending on your timescales and what type of activity you like.....

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship visit

The only place yo'd really get to on foot is Bridgetown, but I wouldn't want to spend a whole day there, the island has so much more to offer.

Depending on what time you are in port a jeep 4x4 safari (with Island Safaris or Adventureland) is worthwhile and so is a catamaran cruise to snorkel with turtles (would suggest Cool Runnings or Silver Moon). Both are enjoyable days out with reputable companies.

You could always try contacting the companies direct to see whether they do direct booking for cruise passengers and whether the timings fit in. Generally the "day" tours tend to leave between 9 and 10am and return between 2:30 and 3:30pm.

Other than that, I would see if you can agree a rate with a friendly taxi driver at the port either to take you to a nice beach or to do a day tour of the island. It really depends what you want to do with your day.

Nicky

england
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship visit

We just return from Barbados yesterday, we enjoyed our trip so much on Silver Moon and we booked again for our trip next April when we are visiting Barbados again on QM2. -Dhea-

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship visit

As I said on St.Lucia, nothing much on most Islands near the ports Bridgetown is "OK" more a city than anywhere else you will see ,but a couple of hours wandering about is enough for any one (man!).I would just look at what trips are going & do that unless you hook-up with someone who has been before & can show you the ropes

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship visit

Oh yeah- if you can get to the airport the Concorde exhibition is very good for an hour or so & is unique to BDS

northampton
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Ship visit

If you haven't had enough of the ocean, you might like to consider a trip on the Atlantis submarine (close to the port). It can be combined with a helicopter trip, a catamaran cruise or an overland safari if you have enough time. Website is www.atlantisadventures.com

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
38 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship visit

Thanks folks, very helpful

Kind regards

Clive

Lake George NY
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship visit

I will also be visiting by cruise ship QM2 in March.

I have done the Tiami catamaran twice and 2 different beaches.

I read something about looking for minivans w/ the letters ZR, I believe and they are $1.50 wherever you go?

I would like to find a hotel, that has a nice beach where we could spend the day, have lunch, maybe swim in pool, few cocktails. The other option that sounds great is Cosol tours, I read a description where they went to Anse Chastenat for an hour of beach time and snorkeling. I have always wanted to see that resort. Thanks for the help!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship visit

Yes, you're right, the ZR vans charge a set fee of BD$1.50 for each journey, no matter how far you go.

All beaches in Barbados are public, so you could visit any of them - I don't know of any hotels that would let you use their facilities, somebody else might though.

You could consider the Boatyard, it's right on the beach and has all kinds of facilities (bar, food, shop etc) and it's not too far from the port.

PS: isn't Anse Chastenat in St Lucia??

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship visit

When we first did caribbean cruises we used to book any excursions etc on board. We then decided to do it ourselves much cheaper as at every island there are taxi or mini van drivers keen for custom. Sometimes you can get a good deal if you fill a mini van with others wanting to do the same. We have done many island tours or just been taken to the beach and it works out cheaper than the "on board" bookings. Make sure you know if you are dealing in barbados or U.S.dollars though when negotiating a price.There are shuttle buses at the cruise terminal that will take you into Bridgetown for 1.50 bds. (unless the price has increased since we last used them)