We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Barbados
Search

Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race

Kent, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
75 reviews
124 helpful votes
Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

For anyone interested in this, the final day is on 21st January.

Thursday 21st January 2016

First start 0700 Hrs: The Mount Gay Rum Round Barbados Race (starts in Carlisle Bay and ends at the Barbados Cruising Club)

1700 Hrs: Post Race Party – Barbados Cruising Club.

Viewing Times on Jan 21st:

Carlisle Bay - 7am to 11:30am; finishes 3:30pm onwards

Holetown/Beach House - 8am to noon

Speightstown area - 9am to 1pm

North Point/Animal Flower Cave - 10am to 2pm

Cattlewash area - 11am to 3pm

Crane - 1pm to 4:30pm

Oistins or Tapas - 3pm to 5pm

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

Just a word of warning - last year the Animal Flower Cave viewing spot was PACKED! If you want to make it your primary viewing spot and have lunch etc., go early and be prepared to stay until the crowd has left (otherwise it will be hard to get your car out!). If you want to follow the boats around like we did (with cooler in car trunk), park on the field to the right of the AFC road - easier to get in and out. If you see a ton of cars, don't even attempt to go into AFC - the road is narrow and people park all along the side, turning it into one way traffic only. Park on the field and walk down to the cave.

It can be a fun day. Pack a cooler if you can, or just stop at rum shops etc. along the way for refreshments. AFC is very scenic, and of course the East Coast Road to Cattlewash. On the way from Cattlewash to the Crane, if you go via Bath, turn down the Bath hill but stop at the lookout partway down by the line of trees - very scenic view.

Edited: 9:57 am, January 14, 2016
Kent, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
75 reviews
124 helpful votes
2. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

Thank for that info Bajanswife.

I think I will watch it from the West coast.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
16,686 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

Me too Babiface .Probably from my sunbed . Missed it last year.

Edited: 12:10 pm, January 14, 2016
Kent, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
75 reviews
124 helpful votes
4. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

Just bumping this up as a reminder.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
18,346 posts
32 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

I have just been informed that the large British yacht and the US yacht are the main contenders in their class to win, having cut an amazing couple of hours off the previously posted time - sounds incredible - they are due to depart Brdgetoiwn at 10am pass by PBC/DB at about 10.15/30 this morning

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
16,686 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
6. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

It's a beautiful cat with a blue Sail marked no 70 ASO . I saw it yesterday and waved to the crew off jet ski ,

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
16,686 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
7. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race
Save

Still waiting to hear the results. The blue British cat shot up the coast past us at 12.10 pm vying for the lead with the American green Cat. Much smaller but very fast . My friends were at the Animal Cave and the blue one hurled around the point leaving others floundering and I saw the blue one returning up our coast to Port St Charles before 4pm.

As the race was staggered , I can't be certain which one won. I must say though, I have never seen such a fast catamaran in my life.

8. Re: Mount Gay round Barbados yacht race

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 22, 2017