We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Independence celebration launch

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
28 reviews
9 helpful votes
50th Independence celebration launch
Save

For those on island there will be the launch of the 50th Independence on Wednesday the 6th of January. Bridgetown is expected to come alive with a parade on land and sea, fireworks and a multimedia concert, The multimedia concert will get under way at 6:00 p.m in Independence square this should be a very nice event.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
16,686 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

Sounds brilliant Alex. Unfortunately I'm not back yet so I can't go, but I would advise anyone lucky enough to be on the Island on that day to join in, and celebrate this wonderful part of Bajan history. One day away from the beach won't matter !

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

The event actually starts at 5pm and will feature soo much talent at one concert definately not to be missed. Get there early if you want a seat!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
35 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

I will state that as much as I love my adopted homeland, I will not be in attendance at this Fete.. wrong timing, they have closed the school tomorrow for no good reason (the day after the schools go back into session for the 2nd term of the school year, after a 3 week term break). Businesses with in the area of Bridgetown are closing early, so as not to get caught up in the traffic and.. the government is spending our taxpayers money on this "show" which they could easily do on the 30th of November when we will really celebrate the 50th Year of Independence. and if they wanted to really Launch the Year of the 50th Independence Celebrations they could have added it to the end of the 49th Celebrations and started it then. at the very least they could have done it on Errol Barrow day, 21 January, the father of independence and a bank holiday.. Just my 2 cents. I'll be home.. thanks. (and I have actually expressed what I have written above to the Minister of education, the Chief education Officer and the person at the National Cultural Foundation who is putting it all together.. I don't just say it to say it.. )

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
28 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

Well tell us how you really feel Sunnie while I agree its a waste of resources its a good free event for visitors on island.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
76 reviews
92 helpful votes
5. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

I have to say I agree with you Alex,but can see where Sunnie is coming from.The concert will be great for tourism,just hope the show benefits Barbados,which I`m sure it will,this has to have a good knock on for business .I do hope it`s a success.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
35 reviews
48 helpful votes
6. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

no worries there Alex.. ..

Maidenhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch
Save

I have to agree with Sunnie ..seems it has not been thought through - being the day after the schools returned etc

Given Independence Day is not until 30th November- why not have it over a weekend ??

...and if my experience of these things is anything to go by ...the cost of this will outweigh any benefit and probably involve too many politicians and civil dignitaries !!!

8. Re: 50th Independence celebration launch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 07, 2017