We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

My husband is 45 and I am 51, we are considering going to Barbados in November to celebrate our 5th Wedding Anniversary. Is this a good time of year to go weather wise? Also I am considering some hotels in the St Lawrence Gap area, as we want access to restaurants and to sample a bit of the night life. Would we fit in or is it a very young scene? We don't stay up late, as by 11.00pm we are both starting to fall asleep, would the noise of the area be troublesome to us? The West Coast seems a bit too quiet for us and we would like our spending money to go a bit further. Thanks in anticipation. Susiepatsy.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

November is a popular time to go with many people, i know quite a few regulars who go then.

St Lawrence Gap is a great place to stay. Not sure of your budget but have a look at Southern Palms hotel, it is situated about 5 minutes away from the main area where most of the 'action' is. I have to say though it isn't anything OTT.

There is also Mistle Cove, Rostrevor and South Gap hotels to look at, they are next to the night life but the rooms are sea facing so you hardly hear any noise that is happening.

Your ages are about the average of many who will be there.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

We stayed at oceans two in the quieter part of the gap. We are in our early 50s. Loved it best of both worlds. Walking distance to shops restaurants etc but quiet at night . Slept so well. We walked, hired a car for 2 days, caught the bus up and down the coast and got the odd taxi. Lovely restaurants. You can always go to the west coast for a visit. The island isn't big

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Thanks for your reply very helpful, cheers. Sue

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Don't know what your budget is but it sounds like you are watching your money, Pirates Inn might be what you are looking for it is not in the Gap but a short bus ride away, with the South Coast Boardwalk a 2 minute walk away with plenty of restaurants around, as mentioned before Barbados is not a big island

Edited: 9:07 am, June 10, 2013
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

My wife and I are around the same age, not a fan of staying in the Gap. The partying doesn't really start until 11:00, too late a start for us. Also, the vendors trying to sell to tourists gets old quickly. Oceans 2 is in a good spot at the end of the Gap but if you're on a budget you might want to consider the Dover Hotel, also on the outskirts of the Gap. They have a great beach right there, adjacent to Maxwell Beach.

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Have a look at Accra Hotel. On a great beach, with an excellent selection of restaurants and bars nearby. An 11pm bed time will exclude you from a lot of the nightlight in The Gap IMHO and during the day The Gap is VERY quiet. The Gap is still an easy reach. Rockley beach has a great balance of young/old, local/tourist and is busy without being crowded or loud.

BTW - we're usually asleep by 10 :)

Edited: 11:01 am, June 10, 2013
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Got to say that the Gap,would be a great location for you both,We are of a similar age and enjoy the fact that you are never far from fantastic beaches and a great choice of restaurants.The choice of hotels that BRETTSK18, has given you are all ones we have previously stayed in,the Southern Palms is a great hotel,wonderful location.The Mistlecove apartments are also great,superb views its own small beach,very good standard inside.If you choose the South Gap,ask for a pool deck room,these are totally quiet,I think the rooms are G11/G12/G13, a while ago since staying,expect others can confirm.The Rostrevor now its been refurbished is also good,with great views.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Can I ask opinions on the bougainvillea ? We are of a Similar age to the poster and first time visitors also.

Thank you

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

Hi Susiepatsy.

November is fine for travel to Barbados. By that time we will be over the hurricane season as well.

Like BRETTSKI8, I too, am not sure what your budget is like but you can check out Time Out Hotel in St. Lawrence Gap as this is an affordable, comfortable, clean budget hotel. The Sporting Pig Restaurant offers an all day menu from 7am - 10pm and the bar is open from 7am - until... - http://www.timeoutbarbados.com/

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering Barbados for the first time - help please

ppmaiden,

Bougainvillea is a nice hotel, i have never stayed there but visited it quite a few times for lunches, drinks etc. It is about a 10 minute walk to the start of the Gap if you walk up the beach but that is only advisable during the day. If you wanted to go out at night i would recommend getting a taxi, it would be only a few minutes to bars and restaurants.