We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with the Turtles

Lee-on-the-Solent...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swimming with the Turtles

I have concerns about people swimming with the turtles, hopefully you are all going to tell me they are unfounded. I would love to get a boat out to see the turtles, but I have seen lots of photgraphs of the swimmers actually handling the turtles. Surely this carnt be good for the turtles? Is there any control by the people that run these type of trips or do they encourage this?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

Katrina P

To be honest, in my experience some catamaran operators encourage the handling of turtles as well as their feeding, which is definitely not a good thing. So your concerns are warranted.

Regards

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

IMO as long as they don't hurt them (doubt anyone would) and just stroke the shell gently i reckon that is sufficient. Just keep their hands away from the mouths as they can do do some damage.

If the turtles didn't like it i am sure they would keep away.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

Calabaza crew are clear in their instructions to swimmers going into the water with turtles and tell them not to try and touch the turtles. a couple of the crew seem to have a 'relationship' with one or two turtles who come up to them and play...(apart from the food ).

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

If you want to get a boat out to see the turtles or to swim with them without the crowds then you would be better to go with one of the smaller catamarans such as Calabaza.

They do feed the turtles to bring them closer to the boats but touching and especially chasing/swimming after the turtles is very much discouraged.

The larger catamarans with the larger amount of people all in the water at once is not a good experience IMO.

You could also go to Paynes Bay and hire a guy with a small boat to take you the short distance just to go and view them swimming around.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

Cool runnings make it clear that you should not touch the turtles. That does not stop the turtles touching you! I had one climbing my back a few years ago.

Remember however the turtles are there because they want to be and they are far more likely to do you damage than the other way round. They are strong and in their own environment.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

Lol! That's very true Dunnedg. They also seem very keen to interact with children too.

7. Re: Swimming with the Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 18, 2014