We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good books about Barbados?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Good books about Barbados?

Does anyone have any good book recommendations related to Barbados? I'd be interested in travel books, historical, or even novels set in Barbados.

I did hear of one recent novel that is partly set in Barbados, but I wasn't sure that I'd like it:

amazon.com/The-Sunshine-When-Shes-Gone/dp/08…

Grangemouth...
Level Contributor
477 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Guys

Interested in this thread as I'm a collector of good books about the islands and as we are due to go to Barbados in November, I was wondering if any of these books are available to buy in stores on Broad Street?

If they are, which stores sell them?

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Good books about Barbados?

The best travel guide to Barbados that I have found is the Insight Guides BARBADOS. It might be a bit dated now, but I notice that you can still order it on Amazon from about $11.

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
196 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Good books about Barbados?

I just finished Sugar in the Blood by Andrea Stuart. It was very well written.

Thanks to Teen2006 for the tripfiction site recommendation.... so many books, so lttle time !

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Good books about Barbados?

The best bookshop in Bridgetown is Cloisters in Hincks Street.

Woodstock, New York
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Good books about Barbados?

LUV BAJAN STYLE: An erotic novel based on the island of Barbados. Two couples meet and enjoy an emotional and physical relationship that lasts over 20 years. Surprise ending. Great beach reading. Could re-ignite that flame that some older couples once enjoyed. Available at Amazon and Kindle

16. Re: Good books about Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, June 23, 2013
Cambridge, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Good books about Barbados?

I've just read Firefly which is an historical novel set in Barbados - loved it :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K35O5ZI

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Good books about Barbados?

The Platinum Coast - by Lynne Pemberton - novel

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Probably out of print - but published in 1964 - The Barbados Book by Louis Lynch was a very informative book on the island

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Good books about Barbados?

The Price of Freedom by Donna Every. She is a Barbadian Author (and a friend of mine) and this book is fiction but based on historical accounts of life in those times..

The Sugar Barons - regarding the sugar industry.. my husband found to be a bit hard to read, but does give some good history and content on the production of sugar

The King is Dead by Martin Hughes (deceased) is about the Sugar Industry in Barbados.

I agree, regarding Cloister books.. on Hinks Street or Sheraton Mall. Pages book store on Broad Street in Bridgetown, on the 1st floor (2nd floor for us American's) of Cave Shepherd has a large selection of all types of books and they do have a Barbadian/Caribbean authors section. and you can get a few of these on Amazon..??