We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good books about Barbados?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Good books about Barbados?

Does anyone have any good book recommendations related to Barbados? I'd be interested in travel books, historical, or even novels set in Barbados.

I did hear of one recent novel that is partly set in Barbados, but I wasn't sure that I'd like it:

amazon.com/The-Sunshine-When-Shes-Gone/dp/08…

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good books about Barbados?

You might want to try "To Hell or Barbados". It gives a lot of perspective on the early slave trade, both white and black slaves, pirates, and what early plantation life was like.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good books about Barbados?

I am currently reading Sugar in the Blood by Andrea Stuart.

Very good history of one family's story in Barbados. You can get it on Amazon

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Thanks for those suggestions; I'll check them out.

4. Re: Good books about Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:55 pm, February 07, 2015
camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good books about Barbados?

A History of West Indies cricket. Written by Jamaican PM Michael Manley who died without completing it. It was completed by Bajan Donna Simmonds. Top read.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Here's a link to some books by Karl Watson who regularly lectures on the National Trust Tours.

…google.com/books/…

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Teens, thanks especially for the TripFiction site, and thanks for all of the other replies as well!

8. Re: Good books about Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, May 03, 2013
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good books about Barbados?

Read "Sugar in the Blood" by Andrea Stuart. Very educational especially if you are familiar with Barbados also it puts in context the events of the emacipation and also how it lead to the independence of the island. Having visited Barbados for several years it was particularly interesting to read the actual origin of the slave market on the island...very good read...

Edited: 7:01 pm, May 03, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good books about Barbados?

"Pigtails 'n Breadfruit: Rituals of Slave Food --- by Austin Clarke.

Part cookbook, part history….Austin Clarke’s memoirs of growing up in Barbados in the late 1930s and early 1940s.