We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer in checked luggage

lafayette, la
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beer in checked luggage

Ok, I know I know all about the awesome beers in Barbados, but I have some old school people in my group who need their Bud Light. Using our American Airlines card, each person gets one free checked in luggage.. any problems bringing cases of beer in that as long as it's under the weight limit? any problems once we reach Barbados with customs, etc.? We are there for 2 weeks and no way some of these girls can drink "leaded" beer that whole time. ha

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Champers Restaurant
$$$$, American, Caribbean, Seafood
Nishi Restaurant
$$ - $$$, British, Seafood, Sushi
Island Plates
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Healthy
ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer in checked luggage

They do red stripe light in Supercentre.......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
567 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer in checked luggage

What's wrong with Banks? It's nicer than Bud, or Corona?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,313 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer in checked luggage

ctalldog

Travelling with beer is not a problem. My friends in the US love to bring their own Coors Light and Bud to the island and customs have never had a problem. As you correctly said, as long as you have Elite Status in the AAdvantage Program, you can have 2 bags for free minimum, 3 if you're flying Business or First. So stock up!

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Here's a link with duty free information and restrictions.

http://www.gaia.bb/content/customs

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Any idea how much beer your friend takes? I'm talking wanting to take 5 cases in one suitcase. Restrictions talk about 24-70% proof stuff but that's liquor I assume, not beer...but I'm a little confused.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,313 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Mike T

The restrictions aren't on beer, it's on the hard stuff. They usually have no more than a case each....never 5 cases. Of course you also have to ensure they are packed properly.

Regards

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Canby : thanks for link to duty free and restrictions

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Sounds ridiculous to me. Have you considered Heineken and Heineken Light? Both are reasonably priced in Barbados, and only cost a shade more than Banks.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer in checked luggage

We have taken a case ( 24 cans) of miller light to several Caribbean Islands (Caymans, Bahamas, Anguilla and St Barts) for my husband. When we are on the island we look for the light beers in the grocery.

St Maarten/ St Martin and Trinidad are two islands that we know have miller light and coors light in most grocery stores, so we don't take beer with us when going to those islands.

We are going to Barbados in November and we plan on taking at least 12 cans of Miller light with us. I think if there are several people in your group they can each take in their own 12 or 24 cans as checked luggage.

I am rum n coke or coconut water and whiskey girl when I am on the islands.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer in checked luggage

Hi Beer in checked luggage.... Did you have any luck?? I have a wheat allergy and am desparately trying to figure out IF and how many Sapporo (rice beer) I can take from Canada to Cuba. In my checked luggage of course. I NEED beer for the beach and am really hoping for a miracle. A beer miracle!!

Beer you.....beer me

NS

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean