We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
368 reviews
Save Topic
Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

First it was the ABV. Second it was Peach & Quiet. Now....

The New Edgewater Hotel in Bathsheba, Barbados abruptly closed its doors today. The hotel has gone into receivership by accounting firm KPMG. The news has come as a surprise to staff who have indicated they were completely unaware of the financial difficulties which the property was having. Only two reservations clerks were allowed in today as five guests were due to arrive this evening. No word given as yet about where the guests will be going.

30 more persons are now without jobs.

This leaves Round House, Sea-U and Atlantis as the remaining hotels in that area.

Will update this thread as more details come to hand.

Regards

Edited: 7:11 pm, April 20, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

As always, this is terribly sad. Thanks for the information. I hope that the guests will be accommodated and the workers get paid.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

Terrible news.. not a word anywhere locally either.. just goes to show you..

I did, however, here through what I hope is a fairly reliable source that one of the remaining Almond properties is just in the final stages of transferring hands to another hotel chain (rather than a developer) and the other is being looked at as well (to remain as a hotel).. fingers crossed these happen sooner rather than later..

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

Sunniebgi

Are you referring to Elegant Hotels taking over Almond Casurina soon? If so, I've heard the same thing from a friend who works at Turtle Beach next door.

Regards

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

With all due respect, these closures are not all the same. Peach and Quiet is not being foreclosed upon, it's a different scenario with the owner selling up and leaving of his own volition. The end result may be the loss of a hotel in Barbados (or not, if it sells) but it's a different story than a hotel being forced to close or facing foreclosure.

Edited: 12:19 am, April 21, 2012
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

InBarbados

Whoever said all were being closed for the same reason? Whenever a property closes, the reasons have been clearly stated and supported by newspaper articles.

The point being made is that Barbados' roomstock continues to decrease while unemployment continues to escalate, particularly out of the tourism industry. It's not very enlightening news.

Regards

Edited: 12:34 am, April 21, 2012
6. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 21, 2012
7. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 21, 2012
Edited: 12:05 pm, April 21, 2012
8. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 21, 2012
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

I have to say BGI that if I didn't know the reason for the planned Peach and Quiet closure that I may have inferred it was down to financial difficulties given your original post.

However, back to the main reason for the post .... it is indeed sad to hear of another closure and the resulting loss of jobs. In addition to ABV and now Edgewater, there have been other losses over the last year or two ... Escape at The Gap being a notable example. What is the current situation in relation to the Allamanda? The list goes on.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Hotel Bites The Dust in Barbados

I don't really want to get into the semantics, but the closure of the Edgewater takes Barbados up to a staggering 34 hotels (so far) that we have lost over the last 20 years. I cannot think of another tourism driven economy in the region that can 'boast' that fact. Government (s) will have to address the underlying reasons behind these closures and eventually understand you can only extract taxes in so many ways.

Those of you that can access VOB929.com might like to listen to Down to Brass Tacks this Sunday (22 April) at 11am local time, when the ABV will be the subject.